Nov. 4th hunt

Snowshoes

Cool and calm with light snow flurries when I stepped out of the house this morning. Three inches of fresh snow overnight required the sidewalk and garage pad to be shoveled before I would venture out hunting. The minus 19 degrees C (-1F) didn’t feel too bad with such a light breeze and I was looking forward to getting to my calling location.
Drove 2 miles west to a field, where two weeks ago, I had seen 4 coyotes. Parked the truck and then trudged through the snow until I cut a fresh moose track. The moose track looked to be going the same place as I wanted, so I followed them right to where I set up at. Glassed the field for roughly 15 minutes before spotting a coyote mousing in a slough bottom to the north of me. Tried some mole squeaks and rabbit distress but the coyote paid me little attention. Ranged the slough at 326 yards but the coyote seemed to be always in the cattails and I didn’t want to chance a shot. I knew I could stalk roughly 150 yards closer without it seeing me and I was contemplating doing such when I see a second coyote coming across the field. This second coyote continues its journey south but is stopped with a vocal bark, then gets dropped in its tracks. The first coyote runs for safety and uses the rolling terrain to make its escape. Ranged the downed coyote at 157 yards.
A half minute passes before I see another coyote bust from a different slough bottom and heading my general direction. Having hunting this field numerous times, I had a pretty good idea where this coyote may go and got the rifle and myself realigned. Sure enough the coyote followed the draw as I hoped and with a few vocal howls I got it stopped long enough to thread a bullet into its chest. ( 193 yards)
Packed up and on the walk back to the truck I see a set of coyote tracks that had come out of the bush and followed me and the moose's trail for 30 yards or so. Never seen this coyote. Got the truck and drove out to the last coyote shot. As I get out of the truck I see another coyote heading south in the same area as the first coyote shot. Guess I should have sat a little longer.

Loaded the coyote and then headed towards the other one. Kicked up a small bull moose who was bedded in a willow patch at the edge of the field. Watched him trot into the field and almost run over my coyote. The moose made a last minute turn to avoid the coyote and then stopped to look the situation over. He was good enough to hang around for me to get a picture of him ( moose in the background and coyote in the foreground).
I believe this moose had been bedded the whole time I was calling and shooting. Guess he sensed I wasn’t after him.

After dropping the coyotes off I head south to the valley. Park the truck on an unimproved road allowance which is 2 miles west of the corrals that I sat at yesterday. Walked almost a half mile south and set up on a butte in the valley floor. On the walk in, I saw a coyote on the far side of the valley but he was over a half mile away.
Start off with some howls and its not long before I see a single coming across the valley from the south. Could of been the same one I seen earlier but like yesterday, who knows for sure.The breeze was from the northwest and this coyote being south of me, I didn't hold a lot of faith in getting a shot at it. The coyote continued its trek north and I ranged an open spot ahead where I could take a shot. If the coyote makes it much past that open spot it likely would catch my scent. The rangefinder showed 293 yards and I adjust the turret accordingly. The coyote comes out of the buck brush and then turns west. This is perfect, as I now know the coyote won't likely catch my scent. Turrets reset and I watch the coyote as it works through more buck brush and willow patches before appearing at 147 yards. It stops to take a look and I send a 64 gr. Berger on its way. Coyote down. Called some more but nothing else showed except 5 curious mule deer to the southwest.
Now I had a half mile walk back to the truck with coyote in tow. The old trail had gotten washed out a few years back and has never been fixed. I use to drive down and retrieve anything that may fall victim to my rifle but now its all leg power.
Half way back to the truck and as I crest a hill I come face to face with another coyote. The new snow made the sound of walking almost undetectable I guess. The coyote cuts off the trail and in a second is absorbed in the timber. I had gotten the rifle on the shooting sticks but that was it.
Walked a few feet and could see the coyote tracks inside my tracks from earlier. This coyote had followed my trail for close to 80 yards. I'm not sure I have ever seen coyotes follow a human trail so soon after being made. I guess they too were trying to conserve energy.

Later on, in the afternoon I head a couple miles southeast of home to try some calling. Set up at a fence line with a large block of bush 100 yards directly south of me. Took 3 sets of distress calls over a 15 minute period to draw this female coyote in.

All in all, a good day for me with 4 coyotes down.

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

Just read all 3 of your posts, really enjoy the story, details and pictures of the hunt.
You are off to another great season.

JohnAB, Thank you, I always enjoy the start of the season.

fratri, Thank you, I expect to see you posting soon also.

locrotor, Thanks, The majority were very nice but a couple "iffy" ones also.

Displayed Name,Thanks
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: gord mccooSnowshoes I enjoy reading your posts. Looks like your off to a great season.
What caliber are you using?
Thank you,
This first coyote this year was shot with a 223Rem. and the next 9 were shot with the 223AI.

Originally Posted By: Doc25Good hunting! How long do you sit your stands?
Length of time I wait varies from stand to stand. If its only one small area I'm calling then 20-30 minutes but if its a vast area I may sit 45-60 minutes. Too long some days and not long enough on others.... that's hunting I guess.

I like to hang out for a while too. Im mostly out for about 45 minutes per stand when Im buy myself, but when a buddy comes along its usually closer to 30 as they start getting antsy and lay their rifle down. I have had a few come nosing around, around the 30-40 minute mark though so I like to hang out for any stragglers.
smile.gif

Ive also said to myself a few time "I should of just hang out a little while longer" I think we've all said that. :p

Last edited:
Back