first hand call help

carpdoctor

My first post disappeared?? I don't coyote much but I have been seeing a few around my place. I would like to get a hand call and learn how to use it.

Lots of nice calls in the custom area but I don't know which one to start with. I was thinking about getting a howler and a rabbit distress. and hopefully some good youtube support on how to use them.

I live in Iowa if that matters.

Hi there, and welcome to Predator Masters. I'm sure we can help with your questions.

Surf around the Custom Calls forum, and you will find the gear your need. There are many gifted call makers here.

I recommend a distress call to start with; an open reed would be my first choice, and enclosed reed call is fine too.

The howler should come later, after you master the distress calls. After that, a 'coaxer' or 'squeaker' is a good addition.

Jump on YouTube and do a search for 'calling coyotes with hand calls'. You'll find a lot of videos that you can start, pause, reverse, and learn from.

Best regards,

Rudy

Rudy took the words out of my mouth.

And, I do agree that if you haven't used a hand call often enough to be used to using an open reed call...wait on the howler...and learning the different howls.

It is my personal opinion...as both someone who has used howls consistently for 20 yrs, and also as someone who "specializes" in making howlers (that DOESN'T mean that I know anything!!!)...using a howler incorrectly, or using the wrong howl, could hurt your hunt.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Often I can sit on my back porch and listen to them. Seems to be a lot of coyotes were I live, they make a lot of noise anyway.

I have to many barn cats anyway, wouldn't hurt my feelings if a few "disappeared". I think a badtothebone call will be my first purchase. I need to find a squeaker next.

Most of the custom call makers here on PM would be glad to listen to your initial attempts and give good advice, via a phone call.
Work with the maker you buy the first open reed call from (& on your dime).
Use the private messages (pm) built on this form to hook up..
good luck!

Buy a Bunny Bomb from Rudy and let him teach you to use it. You won't be sorry, though your wallet may be. Once you start getting nice custom calls from our makers, you'll be hooked. I have enough custom hand calls that I could use a different one on each stand this year and probably not blow them all.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: DesertRamBuy a Bunny Bomb from Rudy and let him teach you to use it. You won't be sorry, though your wallet may be. Once you start getting nice custom calls from our makers, you'll be hooked. I have enough custom hand calls that I could use a different one on each stand this year and probably not blow them all.
grin.gif

+1^^^^^^^ I'm fairly new to the forum and I already 14 or 16 custom calls. Some are just to [beeep] purddy to be taking hunting
lol.gif

Back