Look question for y’all folks!

goldengun4

Alright y’all I’ve got a question. Little back story first. I’m taking this story with more than a grain of salt but could use some advice nonetheless. A buddy of mine has a friend who approached him about a predator problem. He said he has had deer and livestock coming up missing and has seen (like I said more than a grain of salt) a mountain lion on the property and wants to see if we can come out and try and take care of it this weekend or the next.

If y’all have any advice on the best way to approach this that would be great. We were thinking of trying to call it in if it’s still close enough in the area. Whether that be advice on what types of sounds to use or tactics regarding what to look for in a hunting area would be great.

Wasn’t sure where to turn and know y’all have a huge wealth of information! Thanks and Wreck Em Tech!

Rain shadow game calls, he sells a cougar package and knows what he's doing. The cougar vocals are used up here by the guys that call em with good success. I'll be trying for one in late nov/dec once we have snow so I can find tracks or something. Calling blind yields almost no success, calling in an area where one has been within a day or 2 usually is money.

They can be called but as Halbach said, you need to know that they are at least in your area. I have called them in with a variety of sounds. If you have one available, this is where an e-caller with a moving/fluttering decoy will really shine. Place it out front where you have a great view then start studying every little spot that can hide a cat. I have only had one come trotting in, the rest were sneaking! Good luck.

My dad had a cat in Jacksboro, I didn't have any luck calling it. A pack of hounds had it up a tree in less than an hour. I work on a large cattle ranch in Wyoming, bout 700,000 acres, we have not had lion problems on livestock but they are tough on deer and antelope. With the deer populations in Texas, I'd be looking over the fences for missing cows, be very unlikely a cat is taking on a range cow, especially a momma cow guarding a calf. Now goats, sheep, and other small stock could very well be on the menu.
Cats have big territories, females are 25 to 40 sq miles, while toms will cover upto a 100 sq miles overlapping 2-3 females. If calling is your only option, be prepared to be calling often. A couple trail cams in likely travel ways can narrow your calling efforts.

Back