What did I do wrong?

Halbach

Rifle is a savage 26" 1:12 twist. So this isn't reloading but you guys outta know the right answer here. I rebarreled my 22-250, didn't have a go gauge so I used a shot piece of brass. Local gun guy recommended it. I have a no go gauge and the bolt won't close on it at all really. The gun guy said it'd have a crush fit? Some reloading thing he said, um so I shot it. The brass I used was 50gr federal predator from Wally World, 200 yards bullets touching. Hornady 55 vmax and 55 spire I could maybe cover the group with my hand. Also, the Hornady had powder burn around the necks while the federal doesn't and if it does it's just a strip. Should I back the barrel out? Did I make the headspace too tight? Is that why it's shooting funky and the brass is ending up like that?

I'll get a picture of it tomorrow. It's burned and the Hornady brass looks like someone stretched part of it. Hard to explain but pictures will show it.

Really should have a GO gauge. I suppose if you used the no go gauge and set the barrel so the bolt will not go down more than a quarter to half way, you should be good.

as MGYSGT said, order a go gauge and be done with it, or at least call around to find a local smith who might have a set they can check it with for you.

playing guessing games is a recipe for bad stuff to happen. personal safety shouldn't be taken lightly on stuff like this.

If headspace was to tight you would not have been able to chamber and fire the factory rounds or did they require a crush fit( bolt handle requires more force to close with a round than without?) You should not have a crush fit with a factory round.

Using Hornaday cartridge headspace gauge: Factory ammo
Federal 50gr varmint/pred 3.569 neck .251
Nosler 55 gr bt. 3.569 neck dia .248
Hornady 55 gr vmax 3.570-571 neck dia .252.

3.579 is a crush fit in my factory Rem 700 22-250.

Last edited:
Yup, went to the local gun nut with it and headspace was too tight. Gonna back it off a bit. No one I've found has a go and they were out of stock when I ordered. Still waiting on my new caller so I've got time to do it right. Thanks for the replies! Glad nothing bad besides a waste of ammo happened.

Back