Blue loctite on bases

bmoore

Picking up my Vanguard Saturday and have some talley rings for it. Should I blue loctite the bases/bottom half rings to the receiver? I have a the wheeler torque wrench and the ability to torque them down to the correct inch pounds, should I still use blue loctite? Caliber is 25-06 Remington. Thanks.

Clean, degrease and properly torque is best. A tiny dab of blue loc-tite is OK, just read the instructions and use it properly.

I agree with pahntr in that you should always degrease and use proper torque settings.

I cannot imagine not using loc-tite though.

Why risk ruining a predator or worse big game hunt that you may have waited years to draw over a
little $5 tube of insurance.

I use red most of the time, blue on guns that I move the scopes on and off of.

Originally Posted By: bmoorePicking up my Vanguard Saturday and have some talley rings for it. Should I blue loctite the bases/bottom half rings to the receiver? I have a the wheeler torque wrench and the ability to torque them down to the correct inch pounds, should I still use blue loctite? Caliber is 25-06 Remington. Thanks.

bmoore, If you actually mean putting loctite on the bottom of the Talley bases instead of just a drop on the mounting screws themselves. I don’t think that would be necessary, but maybe I didn’t understand your question correctly.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Clean, degrease and properly torque is best. A tiny dab of blue loc-tite is OK, just read the instructions and use it properly.

Good info.
I degrease the threads on the screws, and I degrease the threads in the holes with a Q-tip with most of the cotton pulled off.
Then just a dab of blue LT and torque to the proper in/lbs recommended by the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: McGraw Originally Posted By: bmoorePicking up my Vanguard Saturday and have some talley rings for it. Should I blue loctite the bases/bottom half rings to the receiver? I have a the wheeler torque wrench and the ability to torque them down to the correct inch pounds, should I still use blue loctite? Caliber is 25-06 Remington. Thanks.

bmoore, If you actually mean putting loctite on the bottom of the Talley bases instead of just a drop on the mounting screws themselves. I don’t think that would be necessary, but maybe I didn’t understand your question correctly.

No I meant the threads, I read about people coating the bottom but I didn't really think that would be necessary.

I use purple locktite. It is not as strong as blue and designed for small screws where it will be easy to strip the head if you ever need to remove. Its hard to find though. I ordered it online. With that said, I never had mounts come loose before I started using it.

I've never used any Loctite on any Rifle Scope Bases or Scope Base Screws in my 50 years of shooting Rifles and I have Never Had a Scope or Bases come Loose.
Clean-em , properly Torque-em, Shoot-em.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I use purple locktite. It is not as strong as blue and designed for small screws where it will be easy to strip the head if you ever need to remove. Its hard to find though. I ordered it online. With that said, I never had mounts come loose before I started using it.

Purple #222MS is the real deal for scope bases if you feel the need to use loctite. Blue is stronger and on more than one occasion I twisted off base screws using blue even after heating the screw with a soldering iron pencil tip. Purple will hold tight even for a 378 Weatherby and will always be easy to remove. Some people have more luck than others using blue loctite - for me, if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

i have used red for 40 yrs. always clean like already said.your bases are something that you don't want to worry about coming loose.red is not impossible to get loose either.

Last edited:
Back