22 NOSLER FROM RPG AND SOME NOSGAR SPICE

Greg,
I am glad to see that you are getting similar results as I. yet I have had good results with the 53 varmegeddon using a 12 twist loaded to 2.30" OAL in a stainless mag. I used 33.4gn of CFE223 at this length reaching 3789 fps with good groups.

its nice to see that redding has made a 22nosler body die. (should make forming easier)

to form my nosgar brass I used 2 FL dies, one with the decapping pin removed then ran them thru a die with a decapping pin.

the initial forming requires partial short strokes to prevent dents on the shoulders.

the water capacity was significantly lower than the nosler brass

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueGreg,
I am glad to see that you are getting similar results as I. yet I have had good results with the 53 varmegeddon using a 12 twist loaded to 2.30" OAL in a stainless mag. I used 33.4gn of CFE223 at this length reaching 3789 fps with good groups.

its nice to see that redding has made a 22nosler body die. (should make forming easier)

to form my nosgar brass I used 2 FL dies, one with the decapping pin removed then ran them thru a die with a decapping pin.

the initial forming requires partial short strokes to prevent dents on the shoulders.

the water capacity was significantly lower than the nosler brass

Thanks for the heads up on forming. I hope I don't ruin too many!!

I just did capacities on FIRED cases.

22 Nosler wt. 117 H20 37.12
22 NOSGAR wt. 132.92 35.78
22X6.8 FC wt. 123.14 35.24

So that's what I got. I'll do some more work with this one and when the Valkyrie comes out I'll show you can't do more with less..LOL

Greg

I started out with imperial sizing wax .iwas getting dents in the neck then I went to hornady one shot lube way better .just a little I put a little in a soda bottle screw off lid use my finger I start at the base and work my way up to the neck .I then short stroke it then I twist it 1/2 a turn final press it . I also champher the flash hole it adds alittle more case volume

Originally Posted By: tonyjabI started out with imperial sizing wax .iwas getting dents in the neck then I went to hornady one shot lube way better .just a little I put a little in a soda bottle screw off lid use my finger I start at the base and work my way up to the neck .I then short stroke it then I twist it 1/2 a turn final press it . I also champher the flash hole it adds a little more case volume

I think I'll experiment with it. I'll neck it down with a 6.8 bushing die to start and the might help somewhat. Less strain on the shoulder vs. moving the shoulder and the neck at one. I's not like I don't have enough of that stuff laying around for my 22X6.8 anyway.

Greg

Back