Question for Kansas WIHA hunters

wildcats137

What do you guys do with coyote bodies that you shoot on walk-in hunting land? They ask you not to just leave them and I'd really like to respect the landowner's wishes.

I think it can depend on the size of the block of land, terrain, layout and distance from any activity/buildings. I hunt an IL farm just under 400 acres, often leave coyotes where they drop. Some get skinned, usually during deer hunting they lay.

You can always tuck them away some, under brush or where nobody will go. During lean times scavengers will partake.

We usually check em and leave em. Lots of them find their way (carried) to a tree line or a brush area.

In the warmer months the vultures find em pretty quick. I have seen them "vanish" to scattered bones in 2-3 days. When its cooler it takes a bit longer.

I would think what you do depends on your agreement with the land owner if hunting private land.

Just my thoughts.

Around here the eagle vultures and crows might be on them within the hour.
If they are on harvested land I will drag them off to a corner or fence line so the bones won't risk a tire that might cost $2-3000 to replace.

I used to hunt a LOT of WIHA, back when I could still hunt.

I always dragged any coyotes I got, back to the truck.

I never skinned. But any that I could sell to the hide buyer, I would sell.

Those that he either didn't want (or were mangy [sp]), I knew of a couple places (river or creek banks), where the landowners had told me I could dispose of them.

BUT...I always had permission from the landowners long before hunting season!
And, while I had permission, I never let anyone other than the landowner see me do it.

In today's "snowflake society", you never know who might see you & report it to the sheriff...even if you weren't breaking the law.
Sometimes, people who think they are doing the "right thing" by calling the police on you, actually just need to mind their own business...because they have no idea what kind of arrangements you might have with the landowner.

I have had people call the sheriff on me, simply because they seen me sitting along the edge of the road, watching wildlife thru binocs.....and the wildlife (nor I) were on property that that person owned.
It was simply, I had an out of county tag, and they "thought I might be doing something wrong", by watching thru the binocs.

Back