The 26 Nosler in Browning X-bolt

bark

I bought one of these right after the election last November. I planned on using it for an antelope hunt this fall. I haven't had much time to hunt the last few years and after some changes in my work, I thought I would have time this year.

After mounting a Leupold vx3i in Leupold mounts and buying two boxes of Nosler 142 grain ablr ammo for $80 a piece, I headed to my makeshift range. Sighting the rifle in did not go well. It seemed like the barrel was heat walking. So I decided never to shoot more than 3 rounds in a session. It turns out the windage screws were coming lose from the recoil, of course I burned up a few range sessions before I figured that out. Replaced the mounts with Talley's and headed for the range again. Still wouldn't shoot. Back to the store for a box of the 129 grain ablr.

Back to the range. With this ammo I was able to get a 3 shot group right where I wanted it and under an inch at 100 yards. By this time it was late February and I decided I wanted to shoot a coyote with this rifle.

The first coyote was shot at 325 yards and dropped like a rock. I was pleased with myself and the rifle. The second coyote was close to 200 yards and I did not hit him where I was aiming. I hit him way back. I have no idea where the next two shots landed. This set off a little rodeo. I ran back to the vehicle grabbed a second rifle and finished him with that.

Back to the range. Yep, just as I suspected. The rifle was now shooting 8" groups. I gave the gun a very thorough cleaning. The amount of blue foam that came out confirmed my biggest concern. I never could get the 129 grain factory ammo to group again and I'm not really sure why.

At this point, I had about 50 empty pieces of brass, so I stopped at Precision Reloading and picked up the necessary supplies to roll my own. With the way the 142's shot I opted for the 130 grain vld and us869 powder. I had plenty of mag space to jam the lands. The first 3 shots where over pressure and shot as bad as factory ammo(8-10" groups). At this point I seriously thought about unloading this rifle on some pour unsuspecting soul, but that just didn't seem right. After a little Google research, I discovered that Berger suggested trying to jump the VLD's if they didn't group when jammed. Many more range trips. On one range trip I finally shot a 2" group, which I normally wouldn't have been excited about, but that was the best I had seen in a while from this rifle.

I had pulled the bullets from some of the remaining 142 grain factory ammo and discovered that they where using 88 grains of us869, so that's where I had started with the Berger's. With my length found, I started adding powder. It didn't take long to figure out I was heading in the wrong direction and that I was over pressure even though I was 2 grains short of published max load. So, I headed the other direction.

I had decided that the next range trip was going to be it for this rifle. It was going to shoot or it wasn't. After firing my three shots, I walk up to the target to find a nice clover that measured just shy of 3/4" with a tape measure. FINALLY!

The next day I opened my email, and wouldn't you know it, I didn't get an antelope tag. Figures.

Yeah, the no tag was a bummer.

I've been seeing a few of these rifles on the used racks. I just wanted to let everyone know they will shoot, but I think they're going to take some effort.

Originally Posted By: barkYeah, the no tag was a bummer.

I've been seeing a few of these rifles on the used racks. I just wanted to let everyone know they will shoot, but I think they're going to take some effort.

I've never seen one that wouldn't shoot out of the box, your's is the first I've read about that wouldn't shoot factory 1" or better.

Originally Posted By: longhair49709Originally Posted By: barkYeah, the no tag was a bummer.

I've never seen one that wouldn't shoot out of the box, your's is the first I've read about that wouldn't shoot factory 1" or better.

That's interesting. I assumed that's why I was seeing them in the used rack already. I like the rifle. I just wish it would have shot factory ammo.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootWhy "jam the lands" for hunting rifle?

Good question.

I was under the impression that's where you started with VLD's. I was surprised it grouped best jumping 90 thou.

Originally Posted By: barkOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootWhy "jam the lands" for hunting rifle?

Good question.

I was under the impression that's where you started with VLD's. I was surprised it grouped best jumping 90 thou.

Yeah sometimes they shoot better jammed, but there’s a possibility that a jammed bullet will stick in the rifling when you extract a loaded round.
Dumping 40 grains of H4350 in an action makes a mess!

grin.gif

I had a little Remington Model 7 7mm-08 that gave me that run around. I don't know how many load combinations I tried. A couple shot real well so I loaded a few more to see if it would repeat and those would shoot a huge group. Finally got sick of it and sold it. I wish it would have worked out though. I liked how handy that little rifle was. The combination of the skinny barrel and flimsy stock were most likely the culprit but didn't have the time or money to start replacing parts.

Back