Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3101873 - 11/05/17 08:11 PM Digital scale
savageyote94 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: East TN
Anyone have problems with the frankford araenal digital scale not wanting to calibrate? Brand new scale i recieved aa a gift, so no recite to return

#3101876 - 11/05/17 08:29 PM Re: Digital scale [Re: savageyote94]
jpx2rk Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Tennessee
I've got one (small, a bit taller than a pack of smokes), fairly accurate, never had a problem with it calibrating, might try a new battery as they can act wonky with a weak battery.

#3101880 - 11/05/17 09:01 PM Re: Digital scale [Re: savageyote94]
Theshedhunter Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: MT
Mine was drifting up and down before my eyes and would not settle or calibrate. Turned out I had a grain of extruded powder under the plate. Blew it out with canned air. Back to normal.

#3101913 - 11/05/17 11:14 PM Re: Digital scale [Re: jpx2rk]
Plant.One Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Oakland County, MI
Originally Posted By: jpx2rk
I've got one (small, a bit taller than a pack of smokes), fairly accurate, never had a problem with it calibrating, might try a new battery as they can act wonky with a weak battery.

this is a very good point!

with any battery operated scale - this is always a good place to start.

even if they're relatively new... swap them out for a fresh set of quality manufacturer batteries. if that doesnt fix it, dig deeper

good luck and keep us posted what you find

#3101921 - 11/05/17 11:36 PM Re: Digital scale [Re: Plant.One]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: S. Texas
Don't have digital scale but seems I read somewhere that florescent lights can interfere with them, too????

Regards,
hm

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#3101923 - 11/05/17 11:49 PM Re: Digital scale [Re: savageyote94]
Plant.One Offline

older fluorescent lights that use magnetic ballasts emit mild stray EM pulses because they're not shielded, so yes thats a possibility too.

these older fixtures are relatively easy to identify as they're typically the ones with the big fat 1.5" (T12) lamps

some of the early 1" (T8) lamped fixtures use them as well - i just pulled one the other day on a job in fact.

most newer fixtures use electronically controlled ballasts and are much less susceptible to stray EM escaping. T5's are all electronic ballast fired, so little to no worry from them. LED's dont have ballasts so no risk there at all.

#3101928 - 11/06/17 12:22 AM Re: Digital scale [Re: Plant.One]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Thanks, Plant. I don't understand everything I know about "florescent" bulbs, including how to spell them....but neither does spell check. LOL

What would make (the old ones) not start when humidity is a bit high? Have them in my old office which I only keep A/C @ 80* + a dehumidifier on. If the reservoir fills up and D/H shuts down, about half the lights don't come on (don't go out there but about once a week). Good reminder to empty the D/H, though.
We usually have pretty high humidity here.

Regards,
hm

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#3101935 - 11/06/17 12:47 AM Re: Digital scale [Re: savageyote94]
Plant.One Offline

amen on speel check not knowing how to spell it either - ugh. grin

no idea why humidity specifically would cause them to not light up - hard to say though as it could simply be a short inside the ballast itself or a lamp issue or even an endcap issue.

most of those old ballasts were filled in with tar - they're also called tar ballasts - and its possible with age that they've become compromised and some moisture is getting in there. I've had some failed units that look like they leaked black sap out of them.

start by checking for burnt marks on the endcaps where the lamp pins make contact. if those look good, i'd suggest just wiring some new ballasts in and putting new t8 lamps into the endcaps (they use the same pin width). as mentioned lamp age could also be a factor, but if you have to invest in new lamps - i would recommend investing in a fresh ballast too to modernize them and enjoying the few watts of energy savings (32w per 48" lamp vs 40w).

new ballasts for a 2 lamp 48" fixture are about $15 at home depot <--- those are good ballasts, i use those on a regular basis.

if your shop happens to be wired other than standard 110v there's "smart" ballast comparable that will operate on anything from 110-277v (link) for about $20 each

depending on the fixture it only takes a few mins to swap a ballast and a typical 2 lamp 48" t8 ballast only has 5 wires to hook up (black/white from power, 2 blue - one to each of the lamps and 1 red that connects to the other end of both lamps)

older units used to run two wires to each endcap on the lamp - so you may find a LOT more wires in the fixture - but its acceptable to just attach both of them to now single wire on your new ballast. the old wires will be run in pairs to the endcaps. dont get hung up on color matching though. when looking at the wiring - the group of same colored wires all go to one end of the fixture (to each endcap there) and the odd colored wire goes to the other side and attach to all the endcaps there.

new sockets(and fixtures) are "shunted" meaning theres an internal jumper wire to hit both pins from a single wire feeding power so they're able to cheap out and save a few feet of copper wire on every fixture this way by not having to run two wires to every endcap.

there's a basic wiring diagram on each ballast right as part of the sticker showing everything i just explained too.

HTH

#3101966 - 11/06/17 09:24 AM Re: Digital scale [Re: Plant.One]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Thx, Plant. Those old lights are one reason I've never considered a digital scale. Will get them checked out; I've seen leaking ballasts on other lights and worry about being a fire hazard.

Regards,
hm

#3101971 - 11/06/17 09:52 AM Re: Digital scale [Re: savageyote94]
Plant.One Offline

i doubt there's much of a fire hazard. the way fixtures are assembled, with the ballast contained inside a (usually) metal housing with limited oxygen would midigate the vast majority of it - even in the event of one leaking out. I've seen browned out wires before, and fried endcaps, but thats about it. usually the fixture fails long before anything serious can happen, or you get a circuit breaker trip and i'm working with ones that around water constantly (aquarium/reptile/turtle fixtures). some of the older ones i've taken apart when you remove the ballast cover you get showered with about 5 lbs of rust dust blink

if you're gonna go thru an upgrade, i would suggest looking into LED fixtures as well. might be a scenario where if you're gonna spend $30 (ballast and two lamps) upgrading a dinosaur, you might be able to put in a LED fixture for another few bucks.

#3101980 - 11/06/17 10:24 AM Re: Digital scale [Re: Plant.One]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Quote:
if you're gonna go thru an upgrade, i would suggest looking into LED fixtures as well. might be a scenario where if you're gonna spend $30 (ballast and two lamps) upgrading a dinosaur, you might be able to put in a LED fixture for another few bucks.

Fluorescents are a pain, ^^^ will do. Thx.

Regards,
hm

#3101982 - 11/06/17 10:31 AM Re: Digital scale [Re: Plant.One]
SlickerThanSnot Offline
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence
Originally Posted By: Plant.One

highly, highly, highly recommend this^^^^ there is no downside.

you dont even need to buy new fixtures. buy the single ended powered bulbs(around $10 each) and use them in the fixtures you have now. you dont need a ballast of any sort.

and they give off so much more light that i am only using one bulb in some of the fixtures that had 2 fluorescents. love my new lights.

#3101984 - 11/06/17 10:36 AM Re: Digital scale [Re: SlickerThanSnot]
SlickerThanSnot Offline
PM senior

these are the ones i got.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-equivalent-Daylight-Single-Ended-Lighting/dp/B00OMAIG2S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1509724973&sr=8-8&keywords=4%2Bfoot%2Bled%2Blights&th=1

i have swapped out 26 fluorescent bulbs as of yesterday. thumbup

#3101987 - 11/06/17 10:43 AM Re: Digital scale [Re: savageyote94]
Plant.One Offline

those look like a win - even at $10 a lamp. jumper the ballast, run the power to one end of the lamp and bingo. while you're in there, might as well just pull the ballast out and toss them in the junk bin to lighten the fixtures up too.

5000K lamps are a nice bright white color, those will really get you some good worklight and being LED there will be NO startup delay in cold weather either. flick the switch and instant on.

#3101988 - 11/06/17 10:58 AM Re: Digital scale [Re: savageyote94]
SlickerThanSnot Offline
PM senior

Originally Posted By: Plant.One
those look like a win - even at $10 a lamp. jumper the ballast, run the power to one end of the lamp and bingo. while you're in there, might as well just pull the ballast out and toss them in the junk bin to lighten the fixtures up too.

5000K lamps are a nice bright white color, those will really get you some good worklight and being LED there will be NO startup delay in cold weather either. flick the switch and instant on.

yep, i removed the ballasts out of all of them. saw no reason to leave them in. most of them were the newer type, much lighter weight ballasts. a couple fixtures had the old style heavy, black junk filled ballasts.

been debating on what to do with all the ballasts? they have any resell value at all?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Matt1953 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.