What do you use for predator hunting and why?

hunter22mag

Awhile back I posted asking for advice on what would be better for predators
The 22 tcm or 22 hornet
I had made up my mind to get a cz 527 American 22 hornet because I wanted something that will reliably kill coyotes, but not ruin a fox hide, but could kill a deer at closer ranges.
I have a ar-15 in 223, and a Remington 870 super express in 12 gauge. With the exception of ruining the fox hide the ar-15 fills the void.
The 12 gauge can do all 3 IF they are within range. And yes I have thought about bringing both.
I'd really like to have the cz but trying to gather up $650 + for a gun that has 1/2 the power of the 223 is really throwing me for a loop. I've read that you can reduce the 223 to 22 hornet velocity. But I keep reading that there can be problems and injury can occur if your not careful.
Any advise would be appreciated

Get a Tikka .222 or .223. yes some people do download using blue dot or others.
I shoot a Tikka Superlite .22-250 ,living in open country shots may be a few feet to infinity. My personal limit is around 400 yds and this caliber has the flat trajectory and power to fit the job, yet I have shot 55 gr psp to pencil through a coyote at 25 ft.

Originally Posted By: tripod3Get a Tikka .222 or .223. yes some people do download using blue dot or others.
I shoot a Tikka Superlite .22-250 ,living in open country shots may be a few feet to infinity. My personal limit is around 400 yds and this caliber has the flat trajectory and power to fit the job, yet I have shot 55 gr psp to pencil through a coyote at 25 ft.

I agree. Just find the right projectile for .223. A Horn 55 gr sp is pretty stout and just leaves like a quarter or fifty cent piece size exit. Similarly, a barnes tsx will do the same, and the 62 gr tsx fired from a .223 will take deer with no problem out to 150 or 200 yards as long as its an easy broadside shot.

I shoot a .223 tikka. It was my predator and jack rabbit gun. Now I got a twin with the same scope chambered in .243. Now the .223 is just for jackrabbits and backup. The .243 is for predators, antelope, hogs.

I wanted the 527 in 22 hornet for awhile but never got around to buying one. It's a great little round, I've messed around with the Hornady ammo and it shot great at 100.

Q. What do you use for predator hunting and why?
A. A rifle because it's easier than using a hammer or a hatchet.

I use a Ruger Hawkeye All Weather 22-250. Loves the Hornady Superformance 50gr V Max bullets. Nice 1" groups at 200yds. But it's also a slow spinner with a 1:14 twist. Got a Nikon Coyote Special 4.5-14x40 on that works ok. I am planning on upgrading to a much nicer optic in the future.

Last year I had a 223 with a 1:8 barrel shootin 68gr bthp. Longest coyote was 440 yards, closest was 20 yards(bit my caller) and with that round it never left more than a quarter size hole. The 440 yard dog was a hit and spinner and I shot a second shot and he dropped like a rock but I never found the 2nd hole, the first might've just done the job while I was trying to get set for the 2nd. Don't hit shoulder bone(aim a bit back) and it doesn't seem to blow out much. 168 bthp out of my 308 left a half dollar sized hole at 80 yards

17 remington with 30 golds or 17 tact with 30 golds mainly use those at night with nightvision. Daytime is either 204 ar or 243 shootin 55 grainers.

40-50 years ago I killed a lot of fox with an old savage 23 in 22H, in 1966 I added a 223 to my hunting guns and never looked back. About 20 yrs ago I dabbled with a 218 Bee. My go to pelt hunting rifles are in 222 Rem, 22-204, 22-250 in bolt guns and the 5.6x50R Mag and 22 Sav. Highpower in combo guns. I do run lead frees for coyotes in the 6x45 and 6mm-204.

They all do the job and if I had to pick just ONE rifle for predator hunting it would be the one I don't own, a 223. It will do 90% of what a 22-250 and 100% of all the others with an incredible selection of off the shelf ammo. Add reloading and you can just about cover all your bases from rabbit loads to quite effective deer loads.

Originally Posted By: AWSI do run lead frees for coyotes in the 6x45 and 6mm-204.
Which lead free bullets and how do they perform at those velocities?

Asking one rifle to do everything from saving Fox pelts to reliably killing a Deer is a pretty tall order but I'd say the 221FB would be as close as you're going to get.

For predators I use a 17Rem (Remington Classic)and occasionally a 17FB (home grown CZ) but we don't have Fox in my AO soooo.

For Deer I use a CZ Carbine in 223 or a 1894 Marlin in 44mag but I shoot em in my back yard so my shots are seldom over 50yrds.

Good luck and be sure and let us know when you find that magic rifle/chambering that I've been hearing about every since Al Gore invented the internet.

Quote:17 remington with 30 golds

I use a 17-204 with the 30 golds, wish I could get a few hundred more of those Kinder bullets.

Other than that I use several different cartridges now-a-days, I can't say I have a real favorite anymore.

55 gr NBT Lead Frees, quite accurate they have worked just fine for me, get near the edges they can be explosive.

I shoot an ASI mini 14 with an 8 twist 20inch McGowan barrel. Well because no hunting AR style rifles(some exceptions but old or $$$).

A savage 12fv 22-243Win 8twist shilen. On our island we are limited to .22 centerfires so I went this direction. Longest coyote was 815yds. I missed many it’s pretty windy usually.

A rem700 LVSF rechambered to .17-204. Government changed law so we could use .17 cal max centerfire on fox. So this gun I can hunt coyotes with confidence as well. It’s an eye opener a lot to like.

Last edited:
I use ar15 in 6x6.8 for deer and coyotes deer bullet is 85 g Speer spbt or 87g vld Berger. Coyotes get the 58g vmax haven’t had it out enough to get eithor a deer or coyote yet with this. Then I also have a 22-243 shooting 75g amaxes at 3560fps on a savage axis with a Timney trigger and Boyd’s stock. I use the ar in closer quarters and nite hunts because it’s fast and flat but also gives quick follow up shots for multiple targets. I use the 22-243 for the open areas that give long range shots, haven’t gotten a coyote with this barrel yet this rifle was a 22-250 before and got some
With that though.

AR shooting a 50 gr. V Max with 23.5 gr of Varget. On occasion I will bump it up to 55 gr VMax Just depends on what's available.

Back