Leupold recommendation for 22-250

kpb

Will probably be using the 22-250 for predator calling 90% of the time and looking to add some new Leupold glass to it. It's been a while since we've purchased a scope, but most of our current guns have older Leupolds with 40mm objective lenses on them, and I've thought about bumping up to the 50mm for the added light. Does anyone have any recommendations that they prefer? Possibly the VX-5HD series? Or maybe something a little less in cost would do be fine? I'm not interested in any of the CDS models, just don't think I'd have much use for it. Thanks in advance!

Ive got 9 Leups.... 8- 40mm and 1- 50mm... The 50mm is currently not even on a rifle. Thats how much I dislike the 50mm. With the new VX3i's, you dont need a 50mm.

My 700 VLS 22-250 wears a VX-3 4.5-14x50 LR with the varmint hunter reticle. It's more of a varmint setup though as it's heavy. My next predator calling rifle scope will probably be a VX-3i 2.5-8x36 with a German 4 reticle.

I like the 3.5-10x40 Leupold with standard duplex, that's what I had on my rifle until I had to sell the rifle, still have the scope though.

Mine has a VX-2 6-18x40. Fine duplex. Outstanding. Mine has the target turrets which are great if you dial in your drops. For a coyote rifle
I would get standard turrets and maybe a ballistic type plex.

The objective lens doesn’t do anything for brightness! That’s all lens coatings/quality. It does change how the light entering is bent and how much is taken in but that changes image quality, not the brightness. If going under $1,000-1,500 than get a smaller objective lens so the glass doesn’t have to try adjusting so much light to your exit pupil. Guns and ammo Sniper magazine just had the best article I’ve read yet on objective size named “I object”. With that said, get the best you can afford in 2 months and then buy it now and eat ramen noodles for a few weeks till your checkbook recovers.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Yeah I wasn't sure if I would use the CDS or target turrets as much just because of my situation with predator calling and everything coming in without always having time to dial in farther shots.

Good to know. I'm sure the newer series of Leupold scopes have drastically improved since some of the older ones I currently have too. So staying with the 40 or 42mm would do me fine.

I currently have the vx6 3x15x50 with the firedot reticle and consider one of the very best scopes I have ever used strictly for predator hunting!

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Ive got 9 Leups.... 8- 40mm and 1- 50mm... The 50mm is currently not even on a rifle. Thats how much I dislike the 50mm. With the new VX3i's, you dont need a 50mm. I agree totally with Catdog and Adam. You don't need a 50 mm objective. Last scope I just bought was a 40 mm. I have some 50 mm scopes and wish that I would have gone no larger than 44 at most. I like 40-42 mm and I really wish They would make a 2-18 power scope. That would be the best of both worlds.

As examples over the price points I have a VX2 6-18x40, AO, fine cross hair on my 17 Fire Ball and a
MK 4, 4.5-14x50 LR/T Mil dot on my 6.5 Creedmoore and love them both (there are more). I have had numerous Leup scopes over the years and have had really good performance out of all of them.

Power and retical are for you to decide what works best for you. I tend to dial in for longer range even with the mil dot rec so I like exposed or target turrets but thats just me.

I am currently looking to scope a 6mm BR and will likely end up with another Leupold.

Last edited:
I have a Tikka t3 in 22-250 and i topped it with a Leupold vx3 3.5 x 10 40mm . This scope is the perfect size for this light rifle. And I have never had to re-zero this scope since it was put on the rifle several years ago.

I bought a cheaper Redfield (made by leupold ) and have it on an AR. and I have to say, I have never had to re-zero or adjust it since it was put on the AR.

Leupold makes quality products, and I hear "IF" you need their customer service for anything, they take care of business quickly and professionally.

Originally Posted By: Smokin BarrelCabelas has the 3-9x40 VX2's on sale now for $225.00. For calling rifle, that would get my vote.

These are really nice scopes. I have one on my Remington 7 Predator 223 with the German 4 reticle. Nice and light, and that's my favorite reticle for predator hunting. Can't go wrong with a VX-2, especially at that price.

Back