Barrett Fieldcraft

triumph001

I dont get excited over bolt action rifles much any more but this one has something that intrigues me and at first glance the price tag seems to be pretty reasonable. I am the last one to go throwing $1500+ at a rifle but I am seriously considering a new 243 win. Seems to me that it would serve as a great light weight calling rifle and also double as a big game rig when I dont want to break out the heavy guns. I have a brand new leupold 2-7 looking for a home that would keep it right at 6 pounds ready to hunt.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/gun-test-barrett-fieldcraft-hunting-rifle

Anyone have any experience with the Fieldcraft yet? Thoughts?

I mentioned it a couple threads down. The article I saw stated 4.9 lbs. This must be with the optional barrel.
Personally I would prefer the Sako Carbonlight with a three way safety/bolt lock with push button bolt release. Also Controlled round feed is a very good feature and one of my favorites is a removable magazine. The fluted stainless barrel looks good and will give the rifle good balance. The carbon stock is light with a completely different feel.

https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-85-carbonlight-stainless-243-win-2025in-bbl-14in-twist-jrscf15.aspx

After having a kimber Montana rebarrled for quite sometime now, and after recently picking up a Tikka T3x lite, I think it would be a tough choice to pick one. The stocks are the big difference. The Kimber is awesome, the Tikka SUCKS! The Tikka cost me $600. The Kimber and rebarrel...a lot more. If the Tikka stays, it will be getting a new stock with all the bells & whistles. ($600-$1000). That's my Montana's territory.
The Barrett is a tough call. From what Im seeing, it is the top of the comb of the stock relates to how much you will be getting thumped. The Tikka in 270 win kicks as much or more than Kimber's in 300 win mag. Even after spending +$1500, it still wouldn't be perfect in my eyes. Im just guessing. I would like to see a video of the cycling of the Barrett action. I got a kimber hunter, thinking it would cycle as smooth as my broke-in montana. NADA! It isn't broke in yet [beeep]. The Tikka, on the other hand, cycles like greased glass, w/o any work done to it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tripod3I mentioned it a couple threads down. The article I saw stated 4.9 lbs. This must be with the optional barrel.
Personally I would prefer the Sako Carbonlight with a three way safety/bolt lock with push button bolt release. Also Controlled round feed is a very good feature and one of my favorites is a removable magazine. The fluted stainless barrel looks good and will give the rifle good balance. The carbon stock is light with a completely different feel.

https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-85-carbonlight-stainless-243-win-2025in-bbl-14in-twist-jrscf15.aspx

Too bad that Sako is a 14 twist.

Last winter I traded a shotgun for a Tikka T3x Superlite in .22-250 which is very close to the .243 physically. It weighs 5.9 lbs and was $679 at the time.
It has a fluted stainless barrel, great adj trigger, single stack removable mag, two lug push feed bolt, two position safety with a 3 shot 1 inch guarantee. The stock is rigid of good quality
These accept Tikka Optilok rings, Picatiny, or other styles.
The Grip is exchangeable which improves nicely.
These are Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabelas exclusive.
This Tikka went right to work and did a great job.
Stock design and weight can help reduce felt recoil which is more important in the larger calibers. Not much to worry about in the .22-250 .243 category for me.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Originally Posted By: tripod3I mentioned it a couple threads down. The article I saw stated 4.9 lbs. This must be with the optional barrel.

Too bad that Sako is a 14 twist.

I am happy with that twist and use it as intended.

One of the main unknowns for me is the twist rates that they have chosen. Anyone have any experience with a 1 in 7 twist rate in 6mm? All of my 243's have shot 55gr ballistic tips well but they may be out of the realm of possibility with this fast of a twist. I like 55's for a varmint/ predator bullet and 100 grain partitions for deer and antelope. What weight/length of bullets are stabilized well in 1:7. I am not a fur saver so maybe an 80 grain barnes ttsx would be a start.

I don't own one, but have had a couple of the Fieldcrafts apart. A short action and a long action. They are very well made and accuracy is superb. They are individually bedded to the action and barrel they come with. Full length bedded like the NULA's and the barrel lug is pinned, big plus. Timney trigger that is pretty nice.
Having said all of that, I still prefer my Kimber Montana. I like the Kimber stock design better and the Kimber triggers are one of the best factory triggers on the market. CRF is a big plus for me with a 3 position safety even bigger. The Barrett is push feed with a Rem. style safety. While I've not had any accuracy problems with my Kimbers the Fieldcraft does edge it out in that department, but then it does cost about $500 to $700 more than a Kimber Montana.
For me, a huge plus for both the Kimber and the Barrett over the Tikka is the action fits the cartridge and other than the stock, no plastic.

Not sure if any of this helps you. I would take a Kimber over a Fieldcraft, but it would be a really really hard decision.

And one more plus for the Fieldcraft is that the barrel is cryogeniced (sp?) twice. Point of impact does not change with barrel heating up.

Last edited:
I like it that the Tikka compares favorably to rifles twice or three times it's price.
The Sako is more in the Barretts category.
I have to agree that CRF is a very noticeable feature and the three position safety, along with other features put it ahead of the Barrett too.
If Kimber can ever shake the hit-n-miss reputation Barrett doesn't stand much of a chance with this one.
I had a Kimber that was a miss but I liked the stock design.

If Tikka used the same higher end parts such as a carbon fiber stock, metal bolt shroud, metal trigger guard and at least 2 action lengths, then I would agree that it may be the better deal. Heck, Savage has a great accuracy reputation and low cost also. While it appears that I am, I do not want to get into a Tikka vs ? rifle.
The Barrett and the Kimber have achieved what many companies struggle to do using good high end parts. My hat is off to them. Try building an accurate ultra lightweight rifle with a 22" barrel cheaper than $1600.00 dollars. Good luck.
I have read many accounts of Kimber poor accuracy, but to date I have owned 6 Kimbers and still own 5. Zero accuracy problems with mine. But then again, I don't shoot commercial ammo, nor would I spend the money to find a commercial ammo that each one liked. I do have one Kimber that so far only likes one bullet powder combo, but there's nothing wrong with Barnes bullets. If I was strictly using commercial ammo and found one it liked, I would not be buying up multiples of other brands/combo so I can say it likes this and this and this one, ect.

I've spent way to much time on this subject and to the OP, I would not hesitate to buy a Fieldcraft, but I certainly would look at a Kimber also. If its a wood stock you desire then Kimber is your answer, but if you're patient, soon Barrett will be offering one in wood also.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: K22If Tikka used the same higher end parts such as a carbon fiber stock, metal bolt shroud, metal trigger guard and at least 2 action lengths, then I would agree that it may be the better deal. Heck, Savage has a great accuracy reputation and low cost also. While it appears that I am, I do not want to get into a Tikka vs ? rifle.
The Barrett and the Kimber have achieved what many companies struggle to do using good high end parts. My hat is off to them. Try building an accurate ultra lightweight rifle with a 22" barrel cheaper than $1600.00 dollars. Good luck.
I have read many accounts of Kimber poor accuracy, but to date I have owned 6 Kimbers and still own 5. Zero accuracy problems with mine. But then again, I don't shoot commercial ammo, nor would I spend the money to find a commercial ammo that each one liked. I do have one Kimber that so far only likes one bullet powder combo, but there's nothing wrong with Barnes bullets. If I was strictly using commercial ammo and found one it liked, I would not be buying up multiples of other brands/combo so I can say it likes this and this and this one, ect.

I've spent way to much time on this subject and to the OP, I would not hesitate to buy a Fieldcraft, but I certainly would look at a Kimber also. If its a wood stock you desire then Kimber is your answer, but if you're patient, soon Barrett will be offering one in wood also.
wink.gif

I have read many threads comparing the Tikka and Kimber and the T3X has already corrected some of the issues you list because shooters have brought them up, something other manufacturers have resisted for decades at any cost.
With great accuracy the action length has never been an issue for me and that extra fraction of a second to work it has not shortened my life.
It does not surprise me then that a Tikka at maybe half the price of a Kimber brings direct competition and reliability with a reputation for out of the box accuracy.
As noted I see the caliber I thought the OP was intersted in for sale in the Sako line with carbon fiber stock discounted to $1700 with more usable features and several years on the market already.
Being a time proven high end production rifle this to me is a better investment than in a rifle design that has fallen on it's face twice and been sold.
A friend who has over a hundred rifles some rare, came by this week. He was interested in the new Barrett also. After checking up on it he is shying away and told me why. He has more info floating in his brain than I have time for.
Now that you mention Kimber wood stocks, a friend that had his own gun store and sold 47,000 guns showed me something one day.
He pulled a newly received Kimber rifle with the stock touching the barrel on one side and a large gap on the other.
He stated it was the worst stock in the store plus embarrassing to display, how could they ship it like this. This is a premium priced rifle with constant problems for me.
I have heard him on the phone many times with Kimber directly.
Subsequently I heard Kimber fired the "wood guy" so the problem hit home.
I am fine with companies ironing out problems or getting the kinks out, just not with me on the short end.
Tikka and Sako are owned by one of the oldest companies in the world. They have treated me very well to date even with a magazine issue.

Back