1-9 Twist AR barrel and bullet weight?

champ198

im wanting to set my 223 1-9 twist AR up for predators.
I am looking at shooting the 40 grain Nosler Hollow point.
have you all had success shooting this wt bullet out of that twist rate?

also with that twist can I go down to 35 grain?

Originally Posted By: champ198im wanting to set my 223 1-9 twist AR up for predators.

It'll shoot 40's pretty well. Maybe not bug holes but the critters will never know. Never shot 35's. FYI I shot some 40'in an 8 twist 22 Nosler last month at around 4,000. One five shot at 4'ish one 3 shot at 0.069.

Greg

Originally Posted By: champ198im wanting to set my 223 1-9 twist AR up for predators.

The 40 grain Nosler bullets shoot sub MOA out of my stainless 1-8 twist 16" barrel. No experience with 35'S. Not meaning to add confusion but the same 40 grain Noslers don't shoot nearly as well out of my 20" 1-8 twist melonited barrel. Can only get them to about 1.75 MOA and thats with several different powders tried in many different weights. Every barrel is different. Given them a try, your barrel will tell you what it likes. Good luck!

Last edited:
I bet it will shoot really well with 50's. My axis is a 1:9 and it will do 1/3" with 50 grain Vmax's and H322 powder. I bet it will be plenty accurate for hunting with the 40's. Is there a particualr reason you want to shoot the super light bullets?

Last edited:
Back