Which do you prefer...M-Lok or Key Mod

champ198

which style do you guys prefer for mounting various attachments?
is there that much difference?
im leaning towards Key Mod

I had issues with BCM's KMR handguards. The magnesium alloy and the all aluminum. I had one flashlight attachment made by Arisaka rip out of the magnesium keymod, I didn't tighten it too tight either. During a 3 gun match I tried to brace off a barricade for a long shot, and it gave. That section of keymod was useless after that. With the aluminum KMR I couldn't get the attachments to lock into place. BCM, Arisaka, Magpul, none of them would lock solidly. Just wobble around.

I've made the switch entirely to M-Lok a couple years ago and haven't had any issues. It does take a little bit longer to get the m-lok attachments on, but once I did it a few times it wasn't that bad. I have two Knights Armament Mod 2 uppers with the URX4 m-lok handguards. I also have a Midwest Industries M-lok handguard. The KAC seems a lot stouter, but is also heavier.

I am not inclined to give keymod another chance, no matter the manufacturer. I think it's inferior compared to m-lok.

Last edited:
I prefer M-lok. I have both and either one will do the job perfectly, but Magpul stuff is less expensive and available everywhere. Accessory cost is the deciding factor for me though. M-lok aluminum bipod mount $20, Keymod bipod mount $47. Picatiny rails are closer in price. One more thing, if you have a slim profile handguard Keymod seems to fit a little better. The screws and bolt do not protrude as far inside so there was no fitting/ filing required to clear the gas block. This of course may vary depending on many things but all my Keymod parts are from Daniels and the tolererances are very tight.

Not all handguard manufacturers use the same specs and manufacturing procedures. On a true key mod, there needs to be a chamfer between the nut and the handguard. I have found many manufacturers that either don't put in the chamfer or they put it on only one part. This tends to cause them to loosen up.

M-lok doesn't seem to have the same problem, but there are a lot more choices for handguards using key mod than M-lok.

Back