2017 Ground hog kills. How many so far???

No not every year. Last year was 219 I think. Two years ago was 389 and 268 before that. I am lucky to have found some farms that were over run with gh's. From the pictures you post it looks like you are shooting on small tracts of land and not big soybean and alfalfa fields. You are hunting under much tougher conditions than I am.

Not as much large agriculture in my immediate area. I have access to the biggest places and they are mostly shot out. I have to hunt the edges and remote sections hard to find them, which I know keeps them from increasing their numbers. I've gone through spells where I get out of groundhog shooting for a few years due to high effort and few shots, and then I go back and not a big jump in numbers. Probably need to leave them alone a good 5 years to have a population rebound, but then the farmer will think I am no longer coming out and let some other yahoo take my place. So I try to give certain places less pressure for a couple years if I can and always leave a few for seed.

And then I work pretty hard to pick up new places, usually smaller since I already have access to the big places, to help spread myself out so I can give some other places a rest. When you combine the smaller places with the rolling hills here it makes it hard to watch large areas as well as get those enjoyable longer range shots. In fact half my groundhogs are shot with my airguns at shorter ranges around buildings or terrain features where I can stalk and get those closer shots. It's all good - I really enjoy the airgun aspect too. I should considering how much they cost.

I was vacationing at Onancock not too long back and couldn't help but notice all the large, FLAT fields. You have a nice shooters paradise there - enjoy it!

Played hooky from work today. Beautiful Fall day - I made a good call
thumbup.gif

Shot 6 today, 5 with my .223 Savage Model 16 and 1 with a new Savage rimfire. Shots with the Model 16 ranged from 153 to 275 yards. Ammo was Hornady 53gr. V-max.

IKMvVX2.jpg

nnpmuSi.jpg

r2CQdk3.jpg

YD8zRhs.jpg

New little Savage B22 FV-SR .22lr

iiWGTQc.jpg

Originally Posted By: wahoowadPlayed hooky from work today. Beautiful Fall day - I made a good call
thumbup.gif

Shot 6 today, 5 with my .223 Savage Model 16 and 1 with a new Savage rimfire. Shots with the Model 16 ranged from 153 to 275 yards. Ammo was Hornady 53gr. V-max.

IKMvVX2.jpg

nnpmuSi.jpg

r2CQdk3.jpg

YD8zRhs.jpg

New little Savage B22 FV-SR .22lr

iiWGTQc.jpg

Took one look at the top picture, and was like, hum, i think ive seen those mountains before lol. Looked, and sure enough, i have seen those mountains before.

30 has been the new record for me, as i never hunted groundhogs before as hard as i did this year. I hope to maybe get up to 40 yet, but i dont know if i can.

It is nice to get the #'s but having fun is what really counts. Hard to get the #'s if you don't have a target rich environment. Good going.

Just got back home last nite from what may be my last GH hunt of the year as bow hunting will keep me busy for awhile. I ended up with an even 300 for the year. I know the farmers are happy. This was my 2nd best year as far as numbers go.

Not a big AR guy but did buy this Ruger MPR recently, and after shooting steel at 300 yards I decided to take it out for a groundhog hunt. This one was only 100 yards but he was digging some massive holes so needed to go to that great big alfalfa field in the sky. The 55 grain Hornady Steel Match hollowpoint was effective.

kL1Q3aL.jpg

I miss shooting these so badly! Dont have any out here in western kansas! We have prairie dogs but something about ground hogs just brings back memories of when I was little and first learning to shoot! I was constantly "scouting" during the summer while my dad was at work so we could go get 'em on the weekends..

I shot #46 of the year earlier this evening here in NW Ohio. Been after this one for a while , and at this time of the year is satisfying to take one at all, let alone a purposeful result after a specific stalk.

Shot was about 70 yards leaning on an old barn corner for a rest, .223 loaded with a Sierra 40 gr. HP and Win. 748. Zastava Mini Mauser w/ custom Douglas barrel.

Up to a whopping count of 4 this year with this last one that made the mistake of showing itself while I was squirrel hunting......
22141227_1833478760025514_3966949084594725074_n.jpg

Had my mitts on a new Micro Hornet a few years back. Wife was at my side at the dealer and I couldn't think of an excuse as to why we "needed" one fast enough. Got back a few days later, but it was gone; thinking the price had been well under 600 bucks. Had to "settle" for a C-Z 527, which is almost as nice: shoots well, is fairly quiet for shooting near built-up areas, and usually kills big 'hogs quite dead out to 175 yards or so with 45 gr. Speer PSP bullets and good shot placement.
Got a whopping five this year, all with that little .22 Hornet; usually get between 50-100. Have a pretty good groundhog arsenal, but health and family issues - plus the coyotes - have diminished total of chucks taken greatly.
thumbdown.gif

Last edited:
Back