Two more coyotes

The weather has been cold and windy the past couple of days. It laid down last night but was the coldest temps we've seen. I just knew this morning would be good.

I headed out and setup where I have been seeing a coyote. Walking in it looked like a swarm of rabbits taking off. Cottontails and Jackrabbits. I thought I saw a coyote running off but couldn't really tell because it was still pretty dark. I got setup and turned the call on. At 1 minute here came the coyote. Got to about 75 yards and stopped to look at the call. He was facing me head on so I took my shot. I was just a bit off center when I squeezed but it was enough. He stiffened, head to the air, and fell over backwards. 1 minute 30 seconds. I called for another 10 to 15 minutes but he was the only one around I guess.

Cavity Back Bullets 105gr MKZ 6.8 SPC
1843.png

I would show the pic of the other side, but it is very graphic. This bullet has rapid expansion and even though my shot was a bit off center, it still rapidly expanded, and transferred enough energy to the coyote to drop him DRT. Peeled the hide back about the size of a football on the exit just above the left shoulder. Blood, everywhere.

Made a couple more sets and had 5 coyotes that came from behind me. I knew walking in that spot looked like it would hold coyotes but I didn't have permission so not much I could do. They were there, saw my truck and me so they weren't coming in.

Made one more set before the Oklahoma State University Cowboys football game started. Parked by a roundtop barn on a hill. It's CRP grass so pretty tall. Walking in I had a coyote run out of there across a drilled wheat field. I laughed because it looked like Wile E. Coyote kicking up dust. I figured it was too good of a spot to abandon so I set up anyways. As soon I as I turned on the call, that coyote came running back and had a buddy with him. About half way across the wheat field they tackled each other and began to fight. Come on! Come up here and fight over this rabbit!

I watched them for a couple minutes, then a coyote started barking at me from the other direction. I shifted around and got eyes on him. He was barking and going crazy. Eventually he started circling around getting closer, and he had a partner with him. So I had to keep both of my eyes on four coyotes coming from different directions. Another coyote appeared in the wheat field but I think he spotted my truck and turned around half way. Meanwhile the original two wheat field coyotes had made it to the CRP and disappeared, while the two CRP coyotes circled around but still wouldn't come in.

I kept switching my focus between those two groups when I saw some ears moving through the CRP towards my call. It stopped about 75 yards from me and all I could see was it's head. I aimed a little through the grass and tried a neck shot. Completely missed. That coyote was running off but not in a big hurry. I couldn't get another shot. Looked around and saw a coyote run off across the wheat field. Switched to pup distress and immediately two coyotes came in through the CRP to my call. The first one saw me or the call and split. The second coyote stopped to have a look. I could see a little bit of this one's body so I aimed and fired. Dropped him. Two other coyotes hung around for another five minutes, barking and circling but wouldn't give me a shot. Eventually they left too. I am about 99% sure there were 6 coyotes total there. I will definitely be hitting that spot again.

This coyotes was 7 yards from my call, about 50 yards from me.
1844.png

Another male. A lot bigger than the first. He was hit a little bit back, likely a liver shot. It dropped him anyways. The exit hole was about the size of a half dollar and triangular. If you're familiar with the CBB MKZ bullet, you know why. Again, blood, everywhere.

Decided to make one last stop since the coyotes were responding so well. But first I took a selfie.

1842.jpg

Called one more place, but walked in on a coyote. He wouldn't come back so I figured it was time for lunch, beer, and football.

Go Pokes!

1689.gif

Back