East Va waterfowl beginner

Ehughes888

Im an avid hunter, but have no waterfowl experience. I have a nwighbor who just moved here in the navy and is an experienced waterfowler who has offered to take me hunting, but we dont really have anywhere to go. I was wondering if someone here may have an idea of some public land we wouldnt have to draw for(past the deadlines). Or maybe even a connection to somewhere we could hunt. I also welcome any advice you guys may have.

It's been years since I was out there in the Marines, but you might try Suffolk County. Lots of peanut farmers out there and they would allow a few of us to deer hunt on their ground. Might try some coastal areas, should be some public ground there. If it's anything like WY public waterfowl areas be ready to get up early and stake your claim early.

As with waterfowl hunting ANYWHERE research will put you in good hunting .

I hunt nothing but public land and spend most of the season without competition.

Most duck hunter run pretty good sized boats, find areas that are not accessible by them, and use a canoe/skiff to get into them.

Drift rivers to good spots, or just drift and jump shoot, it is nice to have two guys but I've stashed bicyles to get me back to the truck.

I have a backpack with decoys in it and hike into public water, not many willing to do that. If it's good I'll stash some decoys for the next time.

Back