Crow hunting in Oklahoma?

OKRattler

I've seen a lot of crows lately (or what I consider a bunch) and the thought of actually trying to hunt these intelligent birds has crossed my mind. But first things first. They are considered a migratory bird if I'm not mistaken. From the way I read the regulations you can't use anything but steel shot,you have to have an HIP permit and your gun can't hold any more than three shells? I thought crows were a pests but apparently not. People don't eat them do they?

Also I heard you can't use an electronic call to call them in but I don't know. And I assume you can't kill them with a rifle?

Last edited:
Pretty sure steel shot is only required on certain wildlife management areas and you do not need a HIP permit. It is illegal to use electronic calls.

They are smart and do get educated, they start flying over at a high altitude after they have been shot at. I use a plastic own you can get in the gardening isle and a couple crow decoys. I have seen them lay for days and nothing eats them.

Thanks Infidel I appreciate it. I have a Hammerin Crow Call I got a long time ago but never have used it. I'm thinking it's about time to give it a go.

I know this might sound a little odd but other than obviously having fun huntin crows I'd like to get one mounted. They're very intelligent birds,hard to fool,cool looking (in my opinion) and I find their history in folklore and mythology to be interesting. Plus not many people have a crow mount that I know of so....Why not? They're cool critters I think.

From what I hear one crow means bad luck. I might need to get two mounted...I haven't really decided yet.

Last edited:
They sure are fun to hunt! If you get a chance to shotgun them calling over decoys by all means do it

Originally Posted By: OKRattler
I know this might sound a little odd but other than obviously having fun huntin crows I'd like to get one mounted. They're very intelligent birds,hard to fool,cool looking (in my opinion) and I find their history in folklore and mythology to be interesting. Plus not many people have a crow mount that I know of so....Why not? They're cool critters I think.

From what I hear one crow means bad luck. I might need to get two mounted...I haven't really decided yet.

A flock of crows is referred to as a murder, while most folklore still associates them with the dark side.  They are symbolized in Halloween, literature, eating dead bodies and transforming in motion pictures. In Stephen King’s; The Stand, the devil is depicted as a shape shifter changing back and forth between a crow and human. In the 1990’s movie; The Crow, the lead character also shape shifts back and forth from human to crow, these concepts and myths are why some believe seeing a single crow could mean that it is not actually a crow, but some sort of darker element.

If you go thru the process of killing and taking one to a taxidermist, you can feel safe that it is simply a crow, you need not worry about having to mount 2, for fear of bad luck.

Here is the one I had mounted;

Here if the plastic owl decoy I use;

Overthinking it can get as pointless as counting crows...

That is very cool. I'd like to incorporate the crow into a mount with something else. Possibly a red fox or something. I would get a coyote mounted but it would have to be a pretty special one. A black coyote would be perfect to have the crow mounted with because it would be two first for me. Your run of the mill coyote just isn't something I'd get mounted more than likely.

Other than that idea I think it would be pretty cool to show some of the legend and superstition behind the crow in the mount. That's why I thought getting two would do that somewhat. But if I just get one I'd like to have one mounted as if it's perched on a coyote skull or something. I'm still thinking about it but I want the mount to tell its own story if that makes any sense at all. I really think they make for a cool mount. And a unique one at that because not many people have them.

Yall dont have crows coming to your callers when predator hunting. They show up to almost every stand. So much fun to shoot. They are like slower ducks.

Take a look at Infidel's picture.
Those plastic owls are good for more than scaring away woodpeckers and pigeons. Crows hate owls and will come to chase them off.

Last edited:
I have a couple of mouth calls and have used them to bring in crows. But in Colorado we can use electronic calls as well.

Last edited:
Be sure and be able to distinguish between a Raven and a Crow, many places Ravens a protected. Just looked I guess Ravens are federally protected across the country.

Last edited:
Back