Dirt Nap

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
After a SPECTACULAR day yesterday taking out a veteran, Woody, and helping him get his first coyote and then bobcat, today was looking to be a bit of a relaxation.

Sunday I took out Joe, Noah and Tony, all of which I have previously written about. Since all of them have gotten predators it was going to be more of a day with all GUNS on deck.

First stand I called in a coyote in front of Noah within about two minutes. He got a shot off but didn't connect.

Second stand of the day, just with the sun peeking over the hills I spot this yote loping in. I settle the 4-12x40 Nikon Coyote Special mounted on my PTG-10 .308 on his chest and wait. I really wanted to let it pose in front of Joe or Noah, but when he cleared this bush he stopped, cocked his head toward Noah so I let the Big Dog eat.

FullSizeR_3 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

This was the best pic. The Big Dog made a bit of a mess.

It was a good weekend with friends and getting to help one of our brave veterans hang some fur was priceless. THIS is what hunting is all about!!

Quote:This was the best pic. The Big Dog made a bit of a mess.

What bullet are you using in the .308, Jason?

Regards,
hm

I don't see the shot, did he run into that cactus.
unsure.gif

I am using Hornady Whitetail 150gr SP. It was pretty ugly. Dead center chest hit that vacated most of the intestinal track through the exit. He was DRT.

Had been using a 243 WSSM for years but landowner banned AR's; ended up replacing with a 308 Savage Scout and it likes the 125 NBT's. Had about same results with a runner angling away, bullet caught last rib and exited just behind front shoulder....not pretty, but no spinners.

Regards,
hm

That's why I like the .308

I have put down many yotes with the .223 but when it really comes to anchoring them, the .308 rocks. I was impressed with the accuracy of the Whitetail ammunition from Hornady. I have not been impressed with their Superformance stuff, the accuracy just isn't there. So it was neat to see them dig an older bullet design out of the cabinet and put it on top of some newer powder and get some great results.

You had a pretty productive weekend. For years I hunted deer with a 30 06, then when my daughter started hunting I got her a 308 for less recoil. I was impressed by the results she was getting, hitting them with federal fusion 165 gr. Now. Now I have 30 06 rifles that just sit in the safe. Pencil barrel 30 06 kick like a mule compared to a suppressed Remington 700 SPS Tactical in 308.

Back