If I were the devil

Originally Posted By: Fursniper
The evidence to show the existence of God is similar to this example. There were thousands of eye witnesses who interacted with Jesus, but the tangible physical evidence has been erased over time. This does not mean God never happened.

Thousands of eyewitnesses do not exist outside the Biblical "history".
The Bible doesn't prove the Bible.

Circumstantial evidence available today would be the year on our calendar which is based on the death of Jesus. When considering how enormous an event would have to be to reset the world calendar to the year one again, the impact Jesus had on earth must have been astronomical.

Sorry, Jesus didn't do that-a monk did it.

The Church did it to get rid of a thorn in their side-kinda like a sharp stick poked in the eye of a dead emperor:

https://www.livescience.com/45510-anno-domini.html

When is Easter?

In the early Middle Ages, the most important calculation, and thus one of the main motivations for the European study of mathematics, was the problem of when to celebrate Easter. The First Council of Nicaea, in A.D. 325, had decided that Easter would fall on the Sunday following the full moon that follows the spring equinox. Computus (Latin for computation) was the procedure for calculating this most important date, and the computations were set forth in documents known as Easter tables. It was on one such table that, in A.D. 525, a monk named Dionysius Exiguus of Scythia Minor introduced the A.D. system, counting the years since the birth of Christ.

Anno Diocletiani to Anno Domini

Dionysius devised his system to replace the Diocletian system, named after the 51st emperor of Rome, who ruled from A.D. 284 to A.D. 305. The first year in Dionysius' Easter table, “Anno Domini 532,” followed the year “Anno Diocletiani 247.” Dionysius made the change specifically to do away with the memory of this emperor who had been a ruthless persecutor of Christians.

Spread of the system

The B.C./A.D. system gained in popularity in the ninth century after Holy Roman Emperor Charlemagne adopted the system for dating acts of government throughout Europe.

If you remember, the Church controlled every single aspect of life until just a few hundred years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: fw707I like that example.

Twelve reasonable people returned a unanimous verdict because they had absolutely no evidence to believe otherwise.

Then a hair was observed sticking out from behind the license plate of the poachers truck in the courthouse parking lot. Officers got a warrant and recovered the blood and hair from behind the license plate. Case pending for crime lab analysis (second coming of God).....

Too late...
Remember that double jeopardy thing?

grin.gif

Yea, I remembered that and then you commented about the same time I changed my post to "before the verdict". Dang, another one slipped through the legal system.

Originally Posted By: Savage250Where is your evidence that God does not exist? I'll wait.

Where's your evidence that the tooth fairy does not exists? I'll wait

Originally Posted By: FursniperYea, I remembered that and then you commented about the time I changed my post to "before the verdict". Dang, another one slipped through the legal system.

No, I was just kidding and not dodging your question. I think you know that.

A hair of solid evidence to prove the assertions and claims made here would be plenty.
But not even a hair exists. It never has.
It is just superstition about another god over thousands of years.

Originally Posted By: Savage250Where is your evidence that God does not exist? I'll wait.

Which god?
Since your god acknowledges the existence of other gods, you'll need to narrow it down.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Fursniper

OK then. I'll explain Matthew 24:34 using your references for evidence. Your link below shows that Jesus did not wrongly predict a second coming.

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/1588-this-generation-shall-not-pass-away

Yeah, I read it before I posted it.
Lots of contortions going on, but they got 'er done, didn't they?
grin.gif

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

They took a different route to "explain" it here:

http://www.bereanbiblechurch.org/transcripts/eschatology/bbc_story.htm

The Birth of a Preterist Church
Delivered 04/25/1999
The Story of Berean Bible Church's Inception

What's your take on "preterists" and "full preterists", and their assertion that the second coming has already occurred-in 2 different ways?
Maybe just more cults by your definition?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

And 7 of the common "rationalizations" are listed here:

https://blacknonbelievers.wordpress.com/jesus-failed-prophecy-about-his-return/

Rationalization #7: Maybe in our human understanding we don’t know what Jesus meant when he said “this general would not pass away” and that “some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom”. He couldn’t have meant he was coming in the first century because he hasn’t come back yet and that would make him a false prophet.
"This rationalization is nothing more than interpreting the Bible by a doctrine you want to be true. If you’re going to believe in the Jesus of the Bible, shouldn’t you base your doctrines on what the Bible actually says? It is self-deceit to look at Jesus’ “prophecy” detailing his return in the lifetime of his disciples and rationalize why it didn’t happen. Only a mind interested in maintaining the illusion of faith could twist and mangle the plain words of the Bible the way Christians have in an attempt to make the incredible credible. An honest mind looking at the facts would have no choice but to admit that Jesus’ prophecy of the end of days has failed to come true."

All I see is a failed prophecy by Jesus himself, and failed attempts to defend it.
Just more of the jumbled up and man-made mess.

If you read the passage quoted in your last paragraph in context he is saying when the end times start it won't take more than one generation for his prophesy to be fulfilled

I'm thinking when Jerusalem was destroyed in 70 AD by the Romans, a lot of the evidence was destroyed and the people who were eye witnesses in this generation were killed. We had some discussion on Matthew 24 and the predictions that Jesus made about the destruction of Jerusalem and "this generation."

The NIV Study Bible I have includes an introduction to each section of the bible. It states who the author was, when it was written, and where the events happened. The books of Matthew, John, Luke, Mark, James, and Peter were all written by those guys personally. Paul was not one of Jesus's original disciples. He was a Roman who hated Christians and ruthlessly killed them. Paul later became the biggest contributor and the author of several sections of the New Testament. I have to disagree that the New Testament was written hundreds of years after the events occurred. I believe they are eye witness statements written by the people who were there. What you want to believe is up to you, but I cannot discard the info from what would have been available from thousands of witnesses to say none of it ever happened.

Originally Posted By: fw707If you read the passage quoted in your last paragraph in context he is saying when the end times start it won't take more than one generation for his prophesy to be fulfilled

I do not see the passage you are referring to.

Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: fw707If you read the passage quoted in your last paragraph in context he is saying when the end times start it won't take more than one generation for his prophesy to be fulfilled

That was Illinoiscoyote’s post.

Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: fw707If you read the passage quoted in your last paragraph in context he is saying when the end times start it won't take more than one generation for his prophesy to be fulfilled

Read Mathew 24

Originally Posted By: Fursniper What you want to believe is up to you,

Yep, that's right.

But you are convinced that the "one" god has spoken to you directly, and authorized you to speak for him.
We can all believe in your Jesus and spend an eternity in paradise, or we can deny him and spend an eternity in misery.

Have I missed something?

Originally Posted By: Fursniper In light of this, there is one God (Jesus) who has proven to exist and conquer death. All other gods are just man's invention of what a God should be.

However, there is one sin that is never forgiven and that is not believing Jesus is the son of God. [/quote

Fursniper said:
People that believe Jesus is the son of God, who repent, and ask for forgiveness of their sins can be made pure and enter Heaven.

I believe the Bible to be true, but I have a hard time wrapping my mind around some of it. The Bible does make references to a place like that. Here are a couple. i think there are more.

Judgement of Satan
Revelations 20:10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Judgement of the Dead
Revelations 20:15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

Here is the dilemma that God has. Nothing impure can enter heaven. God has set the standards so high for what a good person is that none of us can achieve it. Something has to be used as a scapegoat to blame our sins on so we can become pure (super clean) to enter heaven. Otherwise, God would have to torch everybody. So God now has the system set up to make it pretty easy for us to get into heaven. All we have to do is believe that Jesus is his son, repent, and we can be forgiven and made pure. If people can't at least do that much for themselves, then they get torched.

Your arrogant declaration of "faith" sends everyone on the entire earth to an eternity of "torched" torment and misery if they don't believe what you think a god has told you to believe.

The "arrogance of atheists" is about the biggest joke I've ever read on this site.

And you believe all of that and apply it to the lives of everybody in the world, yet you have not even a single tiny shred of evidence to support your fantasy.

You live in a world of extremism.

Yes sir. You’ve missed the simple fact that the belief in Jesus, for me, did not come about by being guaranteed to spend the rest of eternity in paradise. That was the last thing on my mind when I cried out to Him in 2006. I was looking for him to spare my life and get me out of the [beeep] I was in while here on earth. And do you know what? He did. And from there belief happened and continues to. It is comforting to now know, whatever happens in my life is meant to happen. I do not have to try to control things. All I need to do is sit back and enjoy the ride. When things don’t work out the way that I want them to, I understand it is God getting me ready for larger things. It’s a very peaceful way to live and one I wouldn’t trade for anything.

Originally Posted By: Bad Dawg It is comforting to now know, whatever happens in my life is meant to happen. I do not have to try to control things. All I need to do is sit back and enjoy the ride. When things don’t work out the way that I want them to, I understand it is God getting me ready for larger things. It’s a very peaceful way to live and one I wouldn’t trade for anything.

You know, it is hard to put into words how good it is to see somebody enjoy the benefits of a strong belief, without the need to condemn other folks who believe differently, or not at all.

My beliefs are challenged internally more than externally. Many may view me as someone with strong beliefs, but I struggle the same as everyone else. I’ve noticed more and more, when I am not trusting God I am looking for relief from the stresses of life in unhealthy forms. That is my struggle.

I’ve been condemned while in faith, but what would be the point of condemning back? It is pointless. Plus the person that condemns has not walked in my shoes. It’s out of pure ignorance that they choose to condemn. And it would be purely ignorant for me to condemn them back, being that I haven’t walked in their shoes. There will never be any amount of understanding when both parties choose to point fingers. Understanding comes when both sides can drop their guard and say, “you are different than me, but let’s try to understand each other.”

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Savage250Where is your evidence that God does not exist? I'll wait.

Which god?
Since your god acknowledges the existence of other gods, you'll need to narrow it down.

Tick, tock..........

Originally Posted By: fw707Your arrogant declaration of "faith" sends everyone on the entire earth to an eternity of "torched" torment and misery if they don't believe what you think a god has told you to believe.

The "arrogance of atheists" is about the biggest joke I've ever read on this site.

And you believe all of that and apply it to the lives of everybody in the world, yet you have not even a single tiny shred of evidence to support your fantasy.

Thanks for your blessings. (Matthew 5:11 NIV) “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.

I do not consider myself worthy to judge others becasue I am not perfect myself. Since you consider yourself worthy to judge, that takes more arrogance than I'll ever have.

The evidence I have provided has been very clear. Your interpretation of the bible is your own fantasy.

Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger.

Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: fw707Your arrogant declaration of "faith" sends everyone on the entire earth to an eternity of "torched" torment and misery if they don't believe what you think a god has told you to believe.

Thanks for your blessings. (Matthew 5:11 NIV) “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.

I do not consider myself worthy to judge others becasue I am not perfect myself. Since you consider yourself worthy to judge, that takes more arrogance than I'll ever have.

The evidence I have provided has been very clear. Your interpretation of the bible is your own fantasy.

And on behalf of myself and everybody else in the entire world that doesn't follow your belief system, thank you for the condemnation. I hope we have added several crowns to your resume.

Your humility isn't necessary, since you are a chosen spokesman for the supreme being.

You provided no evidence. You didn't even have a sensible reply to any of my evidence.
If you ever provided a single shred of evidence supporting your god and your beliefs the world would immediately change forever.
Your bible is a fantasy, and you are doing a very poor job of defending its nonsense.

Yep, that simple statement speaks volumes.

You are singing out of the same hymnal, just a different verse and a different brand of extremism:

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+are+the+abrahamic+religions&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Messenger of Allah
Prophets as Messengers of Allah

Prophets as Messengers of Allah
The prophet’s task is to convey the message of Allah and provide a living example for people to follow; they are not responsible for converting people or compelling them in any way. Ultimately, Allah will only hold them responsible for conveying the message.

“And obey Allah and obey the Messenger. But if you turn away, then Our Messenger is responsible only for the clear conveying of the Message.” (64:13)

“Say, ‘Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger.’ But if you turn away, then upon him is his burden, and upon you is your burden. And if you obey him, you will be rightly guided. And the messenger is not responsible but for the plain delivery of the Message.” (24:55)

An Abrahamic religion is a religion whose followers believe in prophet Abraham and his descendants to hold an important role in human spiritual development. The best known Abrahamic religions are Judaism, Christianity and Islam. ... They also all believe that people should pray to and worship God often.

Seems to be lots of messengers running around nowadays in several "religions" that carry no responsibility for the "message".
Extremism comes in a lot of different wrappers.

Back