6.5 CM Factory ammo pressure

ViperACR

How many others are seeing high pressure signs with H factory 140&143g? I have been blowing primers and getting ejector marks on the case heads. Not on all but probably 10%-15% of rounds. I am getting similar results on three different rifles, two bolt guns and one semi.

Well I don't know about ejector marks but the primer problem could maybe be the firing pin length.
Not that uncommon really.
I did not think factory loads were very hot.
Of course the lot you have and what I have had might be different.
Be interested in what you find out.

Read your post again. It would be unusual if three guns had an issue.
Still interested in what you find.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanIf Hornady puts the load on the box, pull one and weight the powder charge.

what would that really tell you not knowing what the powder is?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: ackleymanIf Hornady puts the load on the box, pull one and weight the powder charge.

Because they put the powder and load on the box.

For sure lot 313--- Had problems in many firearms from many people. Firing pin protrusion will cause pierced primers but I am talking about some newer lots blowing primers completely out and very enlarged pockets that don't hold a primer. Also very heavy swipes from the ejector. I have seen very good groups but over 85fps ES. Guess that's why I have to quit being lazy and roll my own.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: ackleymanIf Hornady puts the load on the box, pull one and weight the powder charge.

what powder does it say they use?

super performance?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: 1badsheeOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: ackleymanIf Hornady puts the load on the box, pull one and weight the powder charge.

what powder does it say they use?

super performance?

Any 140gr stuff I've had said 4350 and the 120's were varget, no idea on superformance ammo.

When Hornady brought the 6.5 Creedmoor ammo out they were putting the load on the box for sure. I had thought though that they quit doing that a year or two ago. Maybe not.

Anyways, the load was supposed to be 41.5 grains of H-4350 with the 140 AMAX, not sure if they kept it the same with the ELD. Folks who broke down loads and weighed them though, were coming up with charge weights anywhere from 41.7 up to 42.5 at times. Hornady didn't load with a specific charge weight, what they would do is test each lot of powder for burn rate, and up the charge weight for that lot of ammo until it made the speed/pressure it was supposed to.

Sometimes, in my experience, that Hornady ammo can be pretty hot. I have seen quite a bit of it that flattens primers pretty hard and leaves primer pockets fairly loose.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrHornady does not put their load data on the box. ALL they have is recommended load data on the box!

i have never seen it on a box.

They supposedly put their load on the boxes of first run 6.5 creeds.
Think it was 42 gr H4350 for 140 gr AMAX, but not sure.

Factory Hornady 140 eld match loads I blew two primers and had serious ejector marks on others.

Savage model 10 max-1 predator.

Never had issues with anything else.

Here you go Slick

YQ5wAs.jpg

Back