Homemade fur coat?

6xc

Does anyone have any experience making their own fur coat ? I was thinking of saving some fur to possibly give it a go but I don’t have a clue how many it would take or any of that.
Thanks

I've made coats from Caribou and buckskin, fur mittens all hand sewn. I have a coyote fur vest with a hood project coming up. I saw a very good tutorial on laying out and cutting fur to sew with, it was from a furrier in England but for the life of me I can't find it again. I found it while looking at fur sewng machines but have found I can use my old Phaff with a roller foot to sew the seams.

Not the answer your looking for but, about 50 years ago one of the major hunting magazines had an in-depth article on how to make your own coyote parka. I was so intreged by it I decided that was my next project. I don’t recall how many hides they said were needed but after I had collected 5 the place stuck so bad I got rid of them and have never drug one home since

AWS- I’ve heard of them now that you say that . I’ll give them a try . Unless they’re worth $80 on the carcass I guess but that doesn’t seem likely

Pardon- hahaha I might do the very same

Parson your not supose to keep them in your bedroom, that's why we have fur sheds.

For three years I lived in a tent and set up a teepee off a little bit to put up fur in.

More than once I used to flesh beaver in the kitchen of on house I built, I had an ermine that would come up from the basement and take scraps of meat from my hand. But then beaver smell good compared to a coyote. Actually after a run through a bath in Dawn and dried out before boarding coyotes aren't so bad either.

Long time ago, guy I know, got some coyotes tanned then sewed them on to the outside of a Carhartt jacket. It didn't look too bad actually. He hardly ever wore it though, said it was honestly just too warm for our weather in Utah.

Another friend, long time ago, he was big time into fur harvest, put up over 100 coyotes a year for many years, he had full length coyote fur coats made professionally for him and his wife. Can't remember how much they cost, but it was a lot. That's with him providing the fur, they still cost a lot.

Anyway... The expensive coats, ten, fifteen years later, kind of dry rotted out. He said he had learned that coyote fur might be okay for trim but for whatever reason it didn't work out so good as the main article?

Dunno... Sure there are details in the tanning and manufacture that make a big difference. I do know there is such a thing as a "garment tan" for items being used to make coats and such and Blaine's coats were garment tanned coyote. They didn't hold up all that great for how bloody expensive they were to have made though.

Home made though, heck, why not!

- DAA

I had a beaver coat made for my wife years ago. They were only worth $5 bucks then. Sent my furs to USA Foxx & Furs. It took 7 beaver pelts. They tanned them & made the coat to our specs. Was $1000 bucks back then & came with certification of $3000 value. Warmest coat she has ever owned. Absolutely beautiful coat !

Definitely at least send your pelts to a professional tannery so you have nice furs to work with. Good luck !

There are a number of private coat makers in Wyoming and Colorado that can help you sort your fur, get it to a tannery and produce a professional well fitting garment. There is alot more to it than cutting and sewing.

Originally Posted By: DAALong time ago, guy I know, got some coyotes tanned then sewed them on to the outside of a Carhartt jacket. It didn't look too bad actually. He hardly ever wore it though, said it was honestly just too warm for our weather in Utah.

Another friend, long time ago, he was big time into fur harvest, put up over 100 coyotes a year for many years, he had full length coyote fur coats made professionally for him and his wife. Can't remember how much they cost, but it was a lot. That's with him providing the fur, they still cost a lot.

Anyway... The expensive coats, ten, fifteen years later, kind of dry rotted out. He said he had learned that coyote fur might be okay for trim but for whatever reason it didn't work out so good as the main article?

Dunno... Sure there are details in the tanning and manufacture that make a big difference. I do know there is such a thing as a "garment tan" for items being used to make coats and such and Blaine's coats were garment tanned coyote. They didn't hold up all that great for how bloody expensive they were to have made though.

Home made though, heck, why not!

- DAA

my mom used to be into fur coats back in the 80's. She had a fox coat I believe. it was white though. In the off season it had to be stored properly, so she would take it to them and they would do some sort of maintenance on it and store it in a climate controlled room. The idea of just sticking it in a closet at home was something my mom would not do or the furior, I think they were called would ever do. Maybe that is why the coyote coats went to crap.

So from what I’ve gathered the process is not time consuming and expensive it might not even last . Hmmmmm maybe selling them isn’t such a bad plan

Do one.

Just knowing you can do it is gratifying.

It is an experience that they can never take away from you.

If we balanced everything on cost and time we might as well get a second job and do hunt video games.

You never know after the apocalypse your family might have the only warm coats in the neighbothood.

Had a good friend who was a large furier. Only number I believe I remember correctly was for a mink full length. Thinking it was around 30 hides. He did complain about the stench buying skins in 3rd world countries where they still tanned with urine.

Last edited:
years ago I thought about it for my wife and checked into having it done was told it would take about 17 dogs to do a full length coat and about 800.00 dollars to make it with me supplying the hides

Back