Age old 224 bullet question

Rock Knocker

I'm looking for a bullet that will be suitable for deer and hogs from my 223, just a 16" AR.

I've got a 1-8" black hole weaponry barrel.

Let me know what some of your favorite harder hitting 224 bullets are.

60 gr NP's work well when culling deer and on a few hogs, but to be honest, I've killed more of both with 55 gr. NBT's because that is what was in the rifle (while hunting predators) when the target of opportunity presented itself.

Since I always take head or neck shots on deer or hogs with the .223 with either bullet, they seem to work equally well. The only failure was on a full frontal shot placed between the eyes of a large boar. I saw the 55 NBT bullet splash and resulted in a crippled animal. Have never tried that shot again with a .223, but have since heard of others getting same results on that shot with larger calibers.

Regards,
hm

Thank for the the good info. I've been looking at the Noslers for a little while now but never used them for hunting. I like the looks of the RMR bullets Nonnieselman has in that link too.

Anyone have much experience with the solid copper bullets? The local shop just started carrying Barnes bullets and while the prices are terrible I would still like to see how they work because I wont be going through much hunting. I was looking online at Hornady's 224 70gr GMX solid, I would love to try those out but the only info I have found online is one guy cursing at their accuracy.

And how about the old 69 SMK on deer and hogs? I've got a bunch of those around but I have shot one deer with them and I wasn't happy with the results of a 60 yard double lung shot on a small doe. I know they aren't made as hunting bullets but I have heard that some have good experiences with them, maybe my one shot was just a fluke.

Lots of guys swear by the TSX solids.....I can only swear at them.

Must be holding my mouth wrong but I have not found any rifle I own that shoot them worth a hoot and I've tried them in several.

The NP's are slightly less accurate than other bullets, but not by enough to worry about. In the larger calibers I really like the Nosler Accubonds. They really hold together well and are super accurate in most of my rifles.

Regards,
hm

Ive used the 55gr and 50gr TTSX in .223. Only killed one deer with a 55gr TTSX couple years ago. Nothing special at 200 yards [beeep].

I gave the rest of them to my nephew to hunt with out of my Stevens 200 in 223. It shoots them good enough for a 250-300 yard shot for him.

Went to Runnings just down the road for some bird seed and ended up with a box of the 65 gamekings. Then me and another guy are going to split the bill and order a decent pile of the 62gr from RMR.

64g Winchester, 65g Sierra, 60g partition will get the job done in spades, and nosler makes a 64g bonded.

I killed deer and antelope with a 788 in 223 with the 55g Winchester, which is a soft bullet with a MV of 3050 fps, 36.5g of Win 748.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman64g Winchester, 65g Sierra, 60g partition will get the job done in spades, and nosler makes a 64g bonded.

I killed deer and antelope with a 788 in 223 with the 55g Winchester, which is a soft bullet with a MV of 3050 fps, 36.5g of Win 748.

Shot a number of WT does and many more hogs w/55 gr. NBT @ 3067 fps. while predator hunting. Not the ideal hog bullet but works in a pinch.

35706378445_92291bb771.jpg
35575642821_d1b6522473.jpg

Only shot one small hog (50-60#) in shoulder and it was DRT. DON'T try this bullet on a hog between the eyes facing; it will splash!

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThose RMR look a whole lot like Federal Fusion.

I bought a couple thousand of the 62gn RMR bullets. Several feral dogs and a few yotes don't like them one bit out of the 16" AR. Haven't shot a deer or hog with them yet, but I can't imagine that they will be very nice to critters out of the 223ackley. They were pretty easy to tune a load for, if that helps, and at that price, the worst you can do is load them up for SHTF ammo.

The previously mentioned 65gn SGK is a great all around bullet as well.

Back