Are danner Snake boots really enough?

That snake would be worth some money alive. Biggest one I've seen personally was 6'10".

If you can't see a snake fat enough to eat a jackrabbit snake boots ain't gonna help. You'll trip over the sumbuck and get bit right on the keister.

Last edited:
I've often wondered if snake boots were enough protection; they grow pretty big down here in S. Tx. brush country. I'm told most snake bites occur calf level, but I have heard of cattle being struck in the brisket area.
scared.gif

This track is wider than my boot print and I wear 10 EEE boots.
I lost interest in it where it entered a brush pile.

35533086372_91ca540ca2_b.jpg

Seldom have a tape to measure when I shoot one; the longest I recall hung approx. 6" off each side of my truck's tailgate and it measures 5'2".

Regards,
hm

That's one helluva rattler!!!! I seen a 3 footer in Texas 2 years ago hunting coyotes. he was all coiled up and ready for business till he lost his head.

That's a crooked trail.
4 1/2 footer is the longest rattler kill for me.
Spookiest was one rattling at me waist high while passing a sage bush.

Quote:Spookiest was one rattling at me waist high while passing a sage bush.

Have had only one up in a bush but the bush was between the forks in a trail and he didn't rattle. Scary, that!

Fortunately, of all the rattlers I've encountered, I would only rate two as aggressive. Both actually came after me, one had been peppered with a charge of #9's from .357. The other I was running toward to get close enough for a pistol shot.

Absolutely my funniest "rattlesnake encounter" was when my hunting partner (who shall remain anonymous) and I were walking through two foot tall grass in our hunting camp one summer in preparation for mowing. Let me add, over the years, we killed more rattlers in camp than we ever did out in the pastures and I could tell more "rattler" stories on my partner than you can shake a stick at, as he seems to have a natural affinity for rattlesnakes.

I was following about 5' behind when my partner screamed like a little girl and performed a variant of the twist which would have made Elvis proud. He ending by dropping his pants, at which time an 8-10" Texas Spiney Swift, having climbed my partners leg inside his pants exited the premises, every bit as agitated as my partner!

24028683218_7c400444d1_b.jpg

Since the TSS is a tree lizard, notice the claws above and use your imagination a bit.
lol.gif

I never laughed so hard in my life but, even though it has been at least 20 years since the incident, my bud still doesn't think it was nearly as funny as I do.

Regards,
hm

Looks like it is still funny. Can't imagine an animal mistaking legs for a tree. Good thing coyotes don't make that mistake.

I've been catching snakes of some kind or another for 20 years now. I've had some close calls,been bitten and all that but the odd thing is seeing other people get bit or almost bit has always bothered me more. One of my buddies got bit on the hand by a big Diamondback right in front of me last Spring. Seeing blood leaking out of his hand and the top of his hand swell up in a short amount of time was not cool. But it does happen,it's just part of it. If you play with fire you're bound to get burned. It's not a matter of if it's a matter when and how bad will it be.

Recently there was a spot on the local news stating there is a rise in snake bite incidents. It also showed that a very high percentage of victims were young intoxicated males. News to me.

That seems to be the case in most snake bite incidents. Either that or people who were attempting to catch or kill the snake. I've never been bitten while intoxicated. I was just being careless and not paying attention to what I was doing. Which is common with most snake bites. Not paying attention to where you're stepping in snake country can get you hurt just as easily.

I know there's been a whole bunch of people bitten this year. I've heard of 3 or 4 incidents around this part of the country and several down in Texas.

Last edited:
I was talking to an old man years ago about snake bites and what he used instead of snake boots was to take stove pipe and put under his jeans with leather padding on top said no snake could bite through that pipe but has seen one time a snake bite a pair of snake boots and break off a tooth in the leather and was found when the boots were taken off

50 years or so ago, had an uncle who ran a large hunting camp on or near King Ranch. They used tractor inner tubes as chaps, leaving a 6 or 8" strip on one end used to tie top to their belt.

I would suspect that anything reasonable heavy and hanging loosely would be pretty fair protection. AFAIK, no one ever suffered snake bite.

Regards,
hm

The crazy thing is I don't know any guys that wear "snake boots" even when surrounded by hundreds in a pit. Regular work boots will stop a snakes fangs. But for those bigger snakes and high strikers it's not a bad idea to wear the high top boots.

A snake 80"+ could strike over the top of those. If I was huntin in thick brush in South Texas the snake proof chaps that don't just protect your shins would be the way to go. If you're practically standing on one that size I can assure you it could hit you way above your snake boots. I saw a guy get very,very close to getting hit in the worst spot imaginable once and he wasn't kneeling or sitting down....That snake was 80 1/2" long so hitting you waist high isn't out of the question for a rattlesnake that size.

Last edited:
Back