powder preferance for AR in 223

champ198

do you all have a powder preference for the AR guns?

I have some powder at home but wanted to see what the masses use.
will be loading 55 grain bullets
and gun is a 1-9 twist

i used to be a varget guy, but cfe223 is really starting to shine for me - especially on the progressive. it meters very well - which varget wont. i've got some great results and it seems to like to be right at 100% case fill - every bullet i've shot with it so far (only a couple, but still) i seem to get a ES/SD node right around max, or very very very close to it.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei used to be a varget guy, but cfe223 is really starting to shine for me - especially on the progressive. it meters very well - which varget wont. i've got some great results and it seems to like to be right at 100% case fill - every bullet i've shot with it so far (only a couple, but still) i seem to get a ES/SD node right around max, or very very very close to it.

^^^+1 My H335 load is very warm load, as well. Varget meters good enough for larger cases on the progressive, but not the .223 IMO and I load all my 223 on progressive. Find an accuracy node on the 308 or 30-06 and you can throw good enough w/Dillons as well.

Regards,
hm

H335 has been the easiest to work with in the 50-55gr range, Benchmark has shown equal accuracy as H335 for me but I haven't tested much with the benchmark. Varget if you have a longer barrel because varget burns a little slower. I have a jug of CFE223 around somewhere... I tested it with 53gr Vmaxs and I was literally getting over one foot groups at 100 yards, so i tossed that jug somewhere and hopefully i never see it again.

I like CFE223 and old surplus powder (H335 and BLC2) back when they were cheap.
If its for blasting and goofing off, surplus powder everytime. If its for hunting or something specific then id use CFE223 or Benchmark or H322.

I like 8208 a lot with the 69 Sierra TMK, wish I could get my shooting skills more consistant

pTwT9u8l.jpg

I use H-4895 in my 3 AR’s.. 25.5gr. With 55gr. V-Max, CCI Benchrest primers. Two Rifles at 1-8” twist, and the other is 1-9” twist. They all shoot the same dime size groups at 100 meters in our clubs 100 meter Underground range. If I miss when hunting, I only have myself to blame.

AA2230 is what I have been using the most. CFE 223 is my second choice. The both throw nice even charges out of the powder measure which saves having to weigh every charge.

Man oh man can one get lost in component land. The manufactures get rich off selling variety while a fellas shelves get stacked up with partially full containers of powders, primers and bullets.

XBR 8208, Varget, Benchmark & H4895 are not so temp sensitive as others.

Ball powders can be finicky and labor intensive. They normally shoot better when the case is mostly full and work better with hot primers.

Extruded powders can be more difficult to measure but tend to be less finicky in the load development department.

A great powder can be worthless in your gun with the wrong bullet weight.

I have found a lot of love from XBR 8208, H4895 & Varget. I get the closest velocity spreads with these.

I have yet to try Benchmark.

I have too many different types of powder, bullets, primers and rifles for that matter.

I wish i had less components to play around with and more time.

Back