My first one of the year.

Doc25

It was pretty windy last night but figured I would go out and give it a try.

Set up in the edge of some bush not far from a fence line. Wind was coming from the north west. I was ENE of my fox pro about 50-60 yards away running some rabbit sounds. Around the 13 minute mark (caller was paused) a coyote pops out of the tall grass along the fence line about 10 yards to the south of my call. I flip the safety off and the 204 barks. Coyote down. Small male probably this years pup. Fur is pretty good. Still a bit of blue, almost a silver belly on him. Not much fat.

Skinned him last night and gave him a wash. Should have him boarded today.

Congrats.

Doc25 how does the 204 fare out where you are. Have used mine here,usually with poor results. Changed to the 39g serria late last season but have not shot any as of yet. I find my 223 using 60g vmax a much better choice when calling.

What bullet are you using? And at what ranges,is your 204 your main gun.

Hi Gord,
Love the 204. It's my main calling gun now. I'm running either 32 gr vmax or last nights coyote was shot with the 32 gr nosler hp (think it's the varmegeddon). Just starting out with the nosler because they were cheap and wanted to see what they can do. Most of my kills with it have been with the vmax.

I've run a 243, 223 and even a 22 savage hp. By far my favourite is the 204. In all honesty my ranges tend to be 100 yd or less. I did take one at I think it was 250-275 ish but I hit him in the neck (severing his spine) and he dropped like a sack of potatoes so can't really say from personal experience how great it will be at those ranges. What I really enjoy is the fact it is so flat shooting.

Doc thanks for the response.

I don't have much confidence do to too many bad experiences.( Works very well on smaller critters.)
I'm on my second rifle the first was a savage this one is a remington xr100. Both have been very accurate, no issues there.

Anyway please keep us posted on how you do this season.
Good hunting.

It had been quite warm here until just a couple days ago when snow and colder temperatures arrived. Went out yesterday after work and called in a nice female which made coyote # 1 for the season.

Thanks guys. Only got out once last year and missed the one shot I had.

Nice to know we're tied this year snowshoes. Lol. We can stop counting now.

Originally Posted By: Doc25Thanks guys. Only got out once last year and missed the one shot I had.

Nice to know we're tied this year snowshoes. Lol. We can stop counting now.

Good reply Doc25
smile.gif
I got a good chuckle out of it, lol
All the best to you and your future coyote hunting ventures
thumbup1.gif

Back