October Sounds

R. Toker

I'm hunting in a coyote contest the weekend of Oct 13-14-15 here in eastern Ohio. I have a FoxPro CS24C that I bought in the spring. I usually have never called coyotes until after deer gun season (Dec.) so what's a good set for mid October? Some howls and pup distress?

Anyone interested in the contest it can be found on the Harrison County Coon Hunters Assoc (Ohio) Facebook page. $30 per 2 man team. No traps, snares, or dogs allowed.

IMO, It is not necessarily the type of sound that is used but how it is used. I would start out with some type of prey sound medium/low volume for the first 10 minutes or so. I would also make sure you have periods of silence mixed in. I would say every minute or so sit silent for at least 30 seconds before starting up again. Gradually increase the volume after about 5 minutes but be sure not to go too loud. If nothing shows after about 10 to 15 minutes sit quiet and continue to scan for several minutes. Then switch to some type of howls, maybe 3 or 4 lonesome howls. Remember full volume on any coyote vocalizations. You can switch back to a few minutes of a prey sound again. Then end with some type of distress. My stands are a minimum of 30 minutes with only about 15 to 20 minutes of actual calling.

Keep the call close to you (within 5 yards) and remember not to scan with the light too bright. When you see those approaching eyes never take your scan light off of them until your gun light goes on.

The moon should be just right for your hunt, I wish you success!!

Joe

Last edited:
I've been having great success starting my stands with howls, then pup distress if there's a response. I crank the FoxPro full volume, and will often times howl over it, too, using a diaphragm. The majority of my hunting now has been during day light hours, though, since the corn hasn't been cut yet.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: Night EyesIMO, It is not necessarily the type of sound that is used but how it is used. I would start out with some type of prey sound medium/low volume for the first 10 minutes or so. I would also make sure you have periods of silence mixed in. I would say every minute or so sit silent for at least 30 seconds before starting up again. Gradually increase the volume after about 5 minutes but be sure not to go too loud. If nothing shows after about 10 to 15 minutes sit quiet and continue to scan for several minutes. Then switch to some type of howls, maybe 3 or 4 lonesome howls. Remember full volume on any coyote vocalizations. You can switch back to a few minutes of a prey sound again. Then end with some type of distress. My stands are a minimum of 30 minutes with only about 15 to 20 minutes of actual calling.

Keep the call close to you (within 5 yards) and remember not to scan with the light too bright. When you see those approaching eyes never take your scan light off of them until your gun light goes on.

The moon should be just right for your hunt, I wish you success!!

Joe

Thanks Joe!! I usually have my scan headlight set at 40% as per your youtube video. I was thinking something along the lines of male howl / female yodel / prey distress and finish with canine pups.

I like rabbit distress around cornfields when the combines are working. The equipment has the rabbits moving and coyote,Fox take the advantage of the disturbance. You can park near wagons or grain trucks,walk the fence to get downwind of the field. I usually use a shotgun and try to time it when there is a couple hundred rows left. I have hitched a ride in the combine to the downwind side and actually see Fox and coyote moving around and in front of the combine. Also raccoon can be called out with bird or baby raccoon distress sounds.

Similar situation, they are picking the corn by me and out scouting geese I see a tote. I’m going to get out after them.

Back