22-250 loads

Tylerpresser

Got a 22-250 savage that I’ve been working loads up on I can get pretty accurate goups but they are always on the slow side so far i have tried h414 varget and tac all make a beautiful group at minimum or .5 grs more but when I work up from there I can’t find a good grouping charge that will hold my 55gr noslers at more than 3100 FPS without my group size getting big any thoughts

Best group was varget 31.5 grs (if I remember right) 2.370 oal gave Me .6 Moa at 3096 average FPS standard dev was 22.4

I'm running 34.6 grains AR Comp in my savage right now 55grain sierra sp 1365. It running 3740 fps average over the crony. Two other powders that I use are imr 4064 and Reloader 15. Rem or CCI primers

Looking at my manuals your below the starting grains. I would increase following good reloading practices,there should be a node higher up.

I'm using a max charge (which I worked up to in my rifle) xbr 8208, prepped win brass, br2 primer and 55g varmageddon accuracy is very good.

Hope this helps.

Alliant ARCOMP or IMR8208 are my go to 22-250 powders. AR COMP for 52s and 8208 for 55s. I load at or over published max loads that I worked up to. You should be able to get good accuracy with way more velocity. If not I'd buy a 223 if I was gonna run 3000fps.

Last edited:
That’s kinda where I’m at and what reloading book are you using I am using loadbooks USA for my min max load data maybe try a different powder and see if that helps

Ive had good luck with CFE223 with 53gr Nosler and Vmax. They settled down around 3750fps and shoot great. This is with WIN brass and CCI BR2's in a savage 22" 12 twist.

Originally Posted By: TylerpresserThat’s kinda where I’m at and what reloading book are you using I am using loadbooks USA for my min max load data maybe try a different powder and see if that helps

I have a Hornady manual but almost strictly use hodgdon.com. Nosler.com also has load data and alliant powders have their stuff posted online as well. 31 is very very light. How much have you worked above that charge weight? Often I see two different accuracy "nodes" one near the bottom end and another at or above max loads(though you should always work to them). I'm running the 52 gr Amax over a stiff charge of arcomp(max safe load in my rifle) at a chronographed 3825fps from a 22" barrel, drop confirmations put the true velocity right near that.

Worked up hit 35.5 and had a split neck and ejector wipe on second fired Hornady brass so I stopped and didn’t shoot the rest of my group and yes the necks are dirty waiting on powder to show up and will keep posted supposed to be windy the next few days so I will have time to wait befor I can get to shooting again

In my 22-250s I run a very stiff load of varget with 55g bullets at 3750-3800. And it shoots bug holes with my Remingtons. You need to bump up the charge.

Never found a load with 55gr bullets that would shoot much less
than MOA out of my Sav VLP Mod12 in .22-250. Have gotten 1/4"
groups with 50gr Hornady V-max and RL15 from loads out of
Hornady handbook. 2d best was SBK's with same loads.

Interesting problem, but whatever target (paper or varmint) you’re shooting at, a 0.6 MOA at your fps isn’t all that bad, though a 223 will Match it. I don’t see any information on what bullet you’re using. Not all are the same.

Also always consult with as much or as many load data sources as possible. By the way I like 3031 powder. And always try to use at least 4 sources when working up a new load.

A scary thought is that I’ve had my 22-250 for almost 40 years, and I’ve learned accuracy beats speed, and that speed wears out your equipment.

Originally Posted By: Bigdog2I’ve learned accuracy beats speed, and that speed wears out your equipment.

The nice thing about the 22-250 is even after you slow it down to get the accuracy it is still going faster than most other varmint rounds.

My savage is shooting sierra 55 gr sbt 1365 with 36gr of varget with seating depth out further than book listing and the speeds are 3730 out of the 22 inch barrel with very good accuracy.. Dan

Just picked up a Savage 12 FV during the last Cabela's sale. Limited time with it, generally breaking it in and trying different combos between making sure the deer rifles are sighted properly, and it is still resting in the tupperware stock for a few more days. Bobby Hart LRT arriving Tuesday.

That all being said, in going to echo what others have said. CFE223, 36.5gr, works wonders with the 60gr Vmax seated 0.020" off the lands, and AR Comp, 34.5gr, with the 53gr Vmax, will put them under half an inch at 100, with about 3/4" elevation difference, both straight in line with the bullseye.

New Winchester brass, CCI200.

I have a Tikka 22-250 1:14 and use H4350 at max load and 55 gr. Sierra 1365 lapua brass and remmington primers.
Chronograph at 3400 FPS very accurate load.

Back