Wormydog Fur Taker first kill (this season)

With the wind yesterday and last night, and temperatures finally getting close to freezing last night, I knew this morning would likely be a good chance to call.

I woke up early and drove north of town where I had permission from a farmer. He has a set of wind turbines going through his field so I used the access road to drive on and parked by a wind turbine. To the north of where I parked about 300 yards is an oil well with trees and weeds grown up all around it. I sat about 50 yards from my truck so about 250 from the well.

Turned on my Foxpro Firestorm and started the calling. Called. And called. And called. I'm normally finished by 10 minutes but I let this run a bit longer since it was the first set and conditions were so good.

At 15 minutes I got up on my knees and was scanning, ready to leave. Just as I was about to get to my feet, a coyote appeared by the oil well. My call was off so he was looking right at me. I froze.

Eventually he began scanning the area and looking behind him. I took my chance when he was looking behind to get back down on my butt. He began moving off to my right, I'm assuming to try to get downwind. Only problem for him was he would have to cross an open wheat stubble field to get my wind. He was directly north of me so I turned the call back on, and here he came, at a pretty good clip. At 100y he stopped by a kochia weed like he smelled a mouse. I blew my mouth call to get his attention. Head up, looking at me, broadside, I couldn't wait any longer. I let the Cavity Back 105gr MKZ fly, striking him exactly where I was aimed. I saw in my optic his head jerk straight to the sky and he fell lifeless with a thud. It was over at 19 minutes 38 seconds.

I went ahead and called for another 5 minutes hoping his mate would come in but no luck.

1835.jpg

Can actually see my pickup parked under the tower, I was sitting directly in line with the coyote and my pickup.
1836.jpg

1837.jpg

Last edited:
Back