.204 Ruger AR

coolbrze

Thinking of building / buying an AR in .204 Ruger for predator hunting. Not sure where to start. If buying, who makes a good quality .204? If building, where the heck do I start?

black hole weaponry barrel is a great start but you will have wait times. By going that route you will be able to spec it out just the way you want it. I use lancer mags in mine and have no feeding problems. All other parts are just mil spec AR parts so you can customize until your hearts content.

As neat as an AR in .204 would be, I ended up selling mine almost immediately. It was a model 1 sales upper on a completed Spike's lower. Something about dragging around a 24" bull barrel rifle around got real old real quick.

Just recently bought a Ruger American Predator in .204. Complete delight to bring hunting.

Hope your experience is better than mine with the AR.

I would give Ritch a call and get the BHW barrel or a McGowen Precision my 204 where's a McGowen and it shoot's great. As far as heavy it's not it only weights 7lbs 13oz.

I plan for my next upper to be a 204 as well. I'd love a 22" BlackHole barrel in a standard profile or maybe a little lighter profile. Then I'll take the barrel off my Savage 204 and turn it into something else.

That is a good looking rig, bryan h.

Mine is a 22" BHW standard profile with a target crown. I really like it. Not overly long and it's well balanced.

Originally Posted By: AdamTNice rifle Bryan H

Thanks guys. I have a BHW 204 barrel on order right now from Rich it will be for my brother-in-law's PD gun when we head out west this June.

Last edited:
If your looking for a walking around varmint/predator Ar, type in 624980650 on Gun Broker & check out the 18" Wilson Combat fluted .204 upper. My preference for heavy long range barrels is White Oak Armory (WOA) .204 with a 1-10 twist. They are awesome.
JD

Originally Posted By: HereticAs neat as an AR in .204 would be, I ended up selling mine almost immediately. It was a model 1 sales upper on a completed Spike's lower. Something about dragging around a 24" bull barrel rifle around got real old real quick.

Just recently bought a Ruger American Predator in .204. Complete delight to bring hunting.

Hope your experience is better than mine with the AR.

Heretic,

I have been talking with Silverfox on the 204 topic. I was interested in the same thing. I contemplated building the 204 Ruger upper for an AR. However, I only see a couple available ( like WOA) that have a 1:10 twist. The Ruger American predator in 204 was also on my radar since I have the 243 version done up with a Boyds AT one stock and a Witt machine muzzle brake. I got is glass bedded and it's a great shooter! 1/2 MOA at 100 yards off a bipod out of a truck bed with everything from 58 G vmax to 80 grains, groupings were similar. Ruger has the 1:12 twist as well. What bullets are you shooting? anything 39 or 40 grains? Any problem stabilizing? The idea of the 204 Ruger is very interesting. basically, 22-250 performance at less recoil and more barrel life....

How does yours shoot? Any issues with the green plastic stock for accuracy? Hard to beat the price on a Ruger American predator. Only other guns I thought about were the TC compass...which also has a threaded barrel and 1:10 twist. However, it has a slim contoured barrel. Not sure that it matters much? Or there's the TC dimension that has interchangeable barrel calibers, bolts, etc.. All have the 1 MOA accuracy guarantee.

Next was Savage in the model 10 Predator. More expensive rifle than the other 2...but would it be more worth it?
unsure.gif

appreciate all opinions on the topic. I have a 17 wsm, 223 in AR and 243. My thought was that the 243 does everything the 22-250 does and more...so, I felt the next obvious choice would be a 204 Ruger since I don't reload for any wildcats or Ackley Improved of anything. I like the idea of having a P.D. / coyote gun where recoil is so light you can see the shot and never lose sight picture. However, most ballistics tables ( at least Hornady for sure) show all the specs. listed out of a 26" barrel. Dropping to a 22" in the predator will lose some velocity for sure, but is it enough to matter much?

I had seen what the round is capable of here....

Last edited:
Back