..sometimes they l00k BIGGER in pictures..

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRH I like the no trespassing/no hunting signs in the picture

They are fading... here it is with fresh paint and low fade

Jeff, this weekend is the youth hunt, my daughter said she is going to try and go Sunday. Used to we was out there opening morning, I remember lifting her up on the stool, the first years she had to wear ear plugs and a heavy coat to absorb the recoil. Opening morning of rifle she was committed, now at 16 she has her does her own thing. If we see anything halfway decent I am gonna have her blast him, I get a rush out of watching her shoot them.

And another thing about mature deer and antler size. The Hanson buck, the world record typical Boone and Crocket deer was only 3.5 when he was taken. A lot of people swear up and down they hunt strictly age, but I don't know of any who would let that deer like that walk...

Sure hope you had that cat mounted, Jeremy. That's one of the most beautifully marked cats I've ever seen.

Regards,
hm

Jeremy:

Are those cut outs on the fore grip "kitty tracks ?"

The kity gun. One of my students had her shotgun laid up with wolf tracks. It was really cool.....

Just sayin.......

Also, we could, as has been done in the past, spend voluminous pages on age vs rack managing deer.....

Also, just sayin........

Jeremy our youth weekend isn't this coming weekend but the next, the 28th. Thermacell is sure going to get a workout. I just finished up getting my daughters new deer loads tuned for the CZ-527. She will be shooting the Nosler 64 Bonded this year. According to the camera she should have a fair number of good starter bucks as possibilities. The only real problem will be is if the nice 10 pointer her brother is bowhunting for steps out and she whacks it. Because I dang sure won't stop her from shooting it.

My oldest son hunted early on, when he was younger. By the time high school rolled around it seemed he always had other things to do. I never pushed it. To me hunting is something you do because you love it, and you really want to be out there doing it. He didn't hunt in college either. But then he started getting back into it. Now he is a big Steve Rinella fan. Serious back into hunting, and really focused on the meat and eating what you kill. He got into bowhunting, using his Grandpa's old bow. Besides hunting deer and calling coyotes, he kills squirrels, rabbits, snakes, and eats them too. He is the kitchen manager at a big restaurant and can cook really well.

So I guess I am just saying let her do her thing and don't worry about it. Kids have a way of returning to their roots as they get older. You and your daughter have a good relationship. Even if she takes a break from it I bet she comes back around to it.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Sure hope you had that cat mounted, Jeremy. That's one of the most beautifully marked cats I've ever seen.

Regards,
hm

Unfortunately I took that cat to the taxidermist and he later called and said the fur was slipping all over. It was not a very big cat but it was unique..

Originally Posted By: tripod3A No Hunting sign around here really means Look Both Ways and Come On In.

You might get shot around here;)

Originally Posted By: huntschoolJeremy:

Are those cut outs on the fore grip "kitty tracks ?"

The kity gun. One of my students had her shotgun laid up with wolf tracks. It was really cool.....

Also, we could, as has been done in the past, spend voluminous pages on age vs rack managing deer........

They are coyote tracks, definitely k9.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXJeremy our youth weekend isn't this coming weekend but the next, the 28th. Thermacell is sure going to get a workout. I just finished up getting my daughters new deer loads tuned for the CZ-527. She will be shooting the Nosler 64 Bonded this year. According to the camera she should have a fair number of good starter bucks as possibilities. The only real problem will be is if the nice 10 pointer her brother is bowhunting for steps out and she whacks it. Because I dang sure won't stop her from shooting it.

My oldest son hunted early on, when he was younger. By the time high school rolled around it seemed he always had other things to do. I never pushed it. To me hunting is something you do because you love it, and you really want to be out there doing it. He didn't hunt in college either. But then he started getting back into it. Now he is a big Steve Rinella fan. Serious back into hunting, and really focused on the meat and eating what you kill. He got into bowhunting, using his Grandpa's old bow. Besides hunting deer and calling coyotes, he kills squirrels, rabbits, snakes, and eats them too. He is the kitchen manager at a big restaurant and can cook really well.

So I guess I am just saying let her do her thing and don't worry about it. Kids have a way of returning to their roots as they get older. You and your daughter have a good relationship. Even if she takes a break from it I bet she comes back around to it.

I had the same priority shifts when I hit my teens. Oklahoma opening morning for rifle always starts the Saturday before thanksgiving, I remember getting trashed Friday night then getting up with a couple hours of sleep, being sickly hungover and heading for the stand. Back then at her age if it had any type of antler I shot it;

My early 20s turned a little darker, I still hunted rifle throughout my experimentations with sobriety. Me in the early 90s;

I'm extremely great full that my daughters are heading down a completely different road than I was heading down at their age. We all have our struggles, but these days I understand that it is a therapeutic privilege to be out there. Yep, I experienced everything good the darker side of life had to offer, until it turns against you. There are aspects in life from which some can never be fully cured. Relearning to live life sober just for today, taken in one day increments, one day at a time. A daily reprieve that is contingent on the maintenance of a spiritual condition. Days turn to weeks, weeks turn to months and months turn to years. Someone much wiser than me put it like this; "religion is for someone who fears he77, spirituality is for someone who has been there and does not want to go back.."

Got a little off track there
tongue_smilie.gif

Back