What Thermal Next?

IR patrol- 19mm, 1x optical 22 degree fov. Great for helmet mounting and tighter hunting areas.
Reap ir- 35mm, 2.5x optical 12 degree fov. Also works good for helmet mounting and duals as a weapon sight. Basically a mk3 35mm crammed into a patrol housing with a mini dloc weapon mount. It will give better ID than a 19mm patrol.
IR Hunter mk3 60mm- 4.5x optical 7 degree fov. Awesome for a weapon sight, its cutting it close using it as a scanner. You know as well as I do that we don't have terrain and landscape like SD or Utah, Ive used a mk3 60 and patrol m250xr here in VA and I believe over time it will cost some coyotes due to the narrow fov for scanning.
Ir patrol m250xr- 60mm 4.5x optical 7 degree fov, manual focus lens. This is not a weapon sight just like the patrol le100 and m250. It is a badass piece of equipment, but imo is best used for video, and long range surveillance. We used one in vermont and nevada this past year but we can see coyotes coming 1.5 miles away. Not saying it wont work here in VA but it's going to be in the same boat as the mk3 60mm for scannning, narrow fov. Another option is to buy the 2x magnifier lens for your patrol m300. It will give you 3x optical and is a similar to look and fov as a reap ir.

Kyle, for a dedicated weapon sight, Would you do the MK III 60? I have the MKIII 35 mm 2.5x but would like more magnification for the shooting part. I might get a reap for scanning next. I did not realize that the reap was 2.5x. Optical I assume?

I have the REAP and the IR Mk II. Resolution is the same but the toggle on the REAP is painful when you don't have a lot of time. I love the lighter weight but I end up using the MKII 35mm more often. I have been thinking about upgrading it to a MKIII 60mm but at times I hunt inside 100 yards and FOV would be limiting when close. Guess I could just use the REAP in that situation

Back