Good durable targets

Born2hunt96

Recently (in the past year) I got a new bag type target because the guy at the bow shop recommended it and switched to small diameter carbon arrows because supposedly the have better penetration and buck the wind better.. The problem I have run into is that my target is pretty much no good anymore after 3-400 shots.. I have the goldtip kinetic series arrows with the shroud looking adapter things on the end of them and there's a very small lip there. When I go to pull my arrow out it catches on the burlap type material and I think that's why the target wore out so quickly.. Does anybody else shoot these arrows and know how say a "block" foam target would hold up? I really love the arrows but I don't like how quickly the target wore out!

I shoot gold tip but not the kinetics. Do you have to use the adapter? There is no lip on my arrows with a 5/16" diameter field point.
I shoot a block target out in a year or so. I would recommend the rinehart rhinoblock. It is pricey but holds up great and has a replaceable core. I found a blemished one at lancaster archery for $70 off normal price.

I shoot GT Kinetic kaos and have found most any self healing foam type targets work well. Reinhart is a good option and if price is not a concern, I highly recommend Matrix Targets. They have held up better than any other I have used over the years. Each section is replaceable and you can rotate them. So if you shoot out a center block, first flip it around, then when you shoot that side out just move it to the edge of the target. Up front the cost is higher but longevity and durability is unmatched.

Originally Posted By: YotenotesI shoot GT Kinetic kaos and have found most any self healing foam type targets work well. Reinhart is a good option and if price is not a concern, I highly recommend Matrix Targets. They have held up better than any other I have used over the years. Each section is replaceable and you can rotate them. So if you shoot out a center block, first flip it around, then when you shoot that side out just move it to the edge of the target. Up front the cost is higher but longevity and durability is unmatched.

I will have to look into that! thanks

I'd second the Matrix Target. I've been using mine for a few years now, and have worn out two "hex" sections, but just keep rotating a good one to the middle. Otherwise getting a Rhinhart 18-1 every other year was the norm.

One other nice thing about the Matrix targets. Take a half shot up (or new) Hex with you for practice at camp. Easy to pack around.

For bag targets, to eliminate that snagging thing - I hold my off hand fingers against the bag to support the bag casing as I pull out on the arrow. I might have to "wag" the arrow a bit to get the lips free, but I don't get that "chinese finger trap" effect so they don't snag nearly as much.

I run Velocities and Kinetic PP's from a 74lb draw Destroyer 350 and a 72lb Monster, I can shoot clear through most block type targets, or at least deep enough to ruin my wraps and vanes, and removing from rubberized blocks is AWFUL with the Kinetic insert collars (way too deep, and pulling out is a b!tch - that's what she said). Most targets just aren't rated for ~90-100ft.lbs. so I have to run really tough targets.

Hurricane bags for me. I don't even get out the back side. I have thousands of shots on two of them. I have LOTS of thousands of shots on an old "Steel Stop" bag target I bought years ago.

Back