Anybody here shoot PRS Matches

Robinhood21

Anybody here shoot PRS Matches?
I am starting to get interested but have no clue where to start.
Just a few questions to those who do.

How did you get started?

What are some challenges to new shooters to the sport?

What is your favorite part about the Matches?

How did your first few matches go?

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: Robinhood21Anybody here shoot PRS Matches?

How did you get started?

What are some challenges to new shooters to the sport?

What is your favorite part about the Matches?

How did your first few matches go?

Thanks guys!

Well,
I shot some local "sniper" matches that were set up along the PRS format.
I actually did pretty well and placed pretty close to the top in some tough matches.
Then all of a sudden I got old and stuff hurt so bad for days afterwards that it wasn't worth the trouble anymore.
grin.gif

If you're young and healthy just find some matches and go shoot them, and have fun!!

thumbup1.gif

I've been shooting PRS matches for 2 years, no matter how prepared you think you are...you will be humbled.

How did you get started? I have a couple very close friends that had been shooting PRS for a couple years previous and they talked me into trying it. Don't regret it!

What are some challenges to new shooters to the sport? The biggest challenge is being new and not knowing how to "game" stages for maximum points. You'll pick little stuff up here and there at every match you attend. There are some VERY good shooters that are VERY willing to help a new guy out.

What is your favorite part about the Matches? Getting to shoot someone else's steel that I didn't have to set up or take down
smile.gif
The people you will be shooting beside are second to none, regardless of what you read online about "jersey shooters" they are all great people.

How did your first few matches go? I SUCKED, you have to expect that though. You're shooting against a field of mainly veteran shooters who know how to game the stages to get all the point they can. This knowledge can only be gained by being out there and experiencing a match. You just have to go and have fun, you'll learn quickly what you need to practice at home. Dry fire practice will become your friend.

Originally Posted By: Robinhood21Anybody here shoot PRS Matches?
I would imagine several guys do...

Originally Posted By: Robinhood21
I'd suggest just signing up for a local club shoot or something close. There are several ranges/matches that do PRS type stuff that isn't particularly/necessarily sanctioned by "PRS". I'd suggest finding something close, doesn't make such a big expense or trip. You will pick up a lot regarless if it's a weekend national match or just a club "fun" shoot.

Originally Posted By: Robinhood21

How did you get started?
There was a club within 45 minutes of the house & I like to shoot so tried it out...

Originally Posted By: Robinhood21What are some challenges to new shooters to the sport?
Make SURE you have good dope & know your rifle. After that; KNOW HOW TO GET STILL.

Originally Posted By: Robinhood21What is your favorite part about the Matches?
The competition. Gives a little rush & a day or two shooting rifles is never bad days... Plus as mentioned 95% of the people out there is good folk. They will help & most all have a good sense of humor. We have a fun time & have made several friends (even old time farts that used to shoot good, got old, & then started shooting even better
thumbup.gif
)

Originally Posted By: Robinhood21How did your first few matches go?
Better than expected. Don't be intimidated by guys with high end gear and flashy stuff. Some 'ol country boys that grew up hunting and shooting can hang in there pretty solid...

Originally Posted By: Robinhood21Thanks guys!

NP, main thing is to go & have fun.

You're in Kansas. Get on Facebook, look up Kansas Precision Rifle Club. Ask to join. They shoot monthly (or more) along the I-135 corridor all spring/summer/fall, from Conway springs (south of wichita), Hutchinson, and up north outside of Concordia area - I forget where the Quarry shoots are located, wanna say Cedar Vale?

Match Grade Precision here in Kansas offers long range shooting instruction classes as well as a "PRS Match Primer" for newbies, the guys running it are PRS competitors also, so both the long range classes and the primer course are hugely relevant. They tend to run 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of some of the other long range courses you'll find around, but the instruction certainly isn't any lower quality.

I've shot a couple. I just showed up to my first one, people were more than willing to take me under their wing and help me out, lending out gear, giving pointers etc...

I feel one of the challenges to the sport is it is very gear intensive to be competitive. Some of the shooting positions are very awkward if you don't have several bags to use as rests. Of course, thus far people have let me us their gear but if you want to stick with it you probably at some point need to buy your own gear.

My favorite part about the matches is...well, to be honest I didn't really care for the matches lol. It is not something I think I will do but maybe once or twice a year. If I want to shoot precision long-range I would rather go out in the desert and set up my own steel and have it be more of a relaxing day with buddies.

Back