Official truck thread.....

Took a trip over the mountain to NC in my neighbor's almost new Ford 4X4 4 door and the darn thing rode better than my old Buick did. My 98 standard cab short bed Z71 rides like a square wheeled buckboard. I'd like to get a newer truck but haven't decided just what to get. I'd probably get ran out of town on a rail if I showed up with a Ford but neighbor's truck sure was nice, smooth and quiet although a bit under powered.

I was in Wyoming on a guided horseback mule deer hunt back in 83 drove my old rig up it also had a hatch and the guides referred to it as a poaching rig. Regards

Originally Posted By: TnslimTook a trip over the mountain to NC in my neighbor's almost new Ford 4X4 4 door and the darn thing rode better than my old Buick did. My 98 standard cab short bed Z71 rides like a square wheeled buckboard. I'd like to get a newer truck but haven't decided just what to get. I'd probably get ran out of town on a rail if I showed up with a Ford but neighbor's truck sure was nice, smooth and quiet although a bit under powered. I'm really impressed with the power of my Chevy HD I feel like I could tow a house with this thing. I've owned four trucks prior and this is the first one where I never thought it was under powered in fact I sometimes think it has to much power for what I use it for the truck just fly's over steep grades. Someday I might want to get a trailer and I'll be ready to tow. The whole truck will eventually fall apart around that Allison Transmission. Happy fourth to all, Rick.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI'm 6-2 and over 230lbs, I am very comfortable in a full size Chevy. I have a 2008 Tahoe now with 160000 trouble free miles. I have thought about a Tacoma, but they seem like they might be a bit cramped for someone my size.

Well Coyote I bought a Tacoma 4x4 a couple of months ago. I'm happy with it so far but I can see your point. If I was your size I'm sure I would be very cramped and unhappy.

I drove a 2008 Taco extended cab about a week ago. I really liked it and it seemed pretty comfortable. But they sure are proud of them with there pricing. I don't 4x4 hard, actually I rarely do it, but I plan on doing more in the future, So I think I'll keep this rig for a few more years. I have a cargo hauler that fits into my receiver hitch where I keep the dead critters, usually in a large plastic box. Hose the box out and I can fit a bunch of stuff in it to keep my sleeping area pretty open for traveling.

Yup, they sure know how to charge don't they. Your Tahoe looks like a pretty comfortable arrangement and concealing those gun boxes is good/cheap insurance. I haven't done a lot of off roading either but judging from your brothers age you have more time to get it done than I do.
Where do you hunt out west?

Mostly AZ and NM. Hopefully in the next few years I will be able to hunt some NV, CA again(haven't hunted there since the early 80's), and maybe some Utah.

Yea that brother is 60 now.

Hunted a little around Silver City about 10 years ago, thanks to a PM member. Also hunted northern CA for black tails back in the 1960's and north-central Utah around Tooela. Alaska is my favorite though.

After many years of driving Jeeps I switched to a Toyota Land Cruiser. I got it with 120K on the clock and have put a little over 80K miles on it with much of that in the desert hunting. Maintenance has consisted of replacing the brakes, timing belt and a wheel bearing. Now that I'm at 200K I will put my wrenches to work doing some preventative maintenance and it will be ready for another 200K. There are many nice rigs out there but I'm digging the Toyota!

I have a 2006 tundra over 200 thousand miles not a problem one it is a 4 wheel drive use it for every thing get 17 mpg I still love kit I bought it brand new in 2006 when I sold my 4 wheel dodge best thing I ever did love Toyota my wife has a 2016 camry great cars

Originally Posted By: john pruittI have a 2006 tundra over 200 thousand miles not a problem one it is a 4 wheel drive use it for every thing get 17 mpg I still love kit I bought it brand new in 2006 when I sold my 4 wheel dodge best thing I ever did love Toyota my wife has a 2016 camry great cars

Love my first gen Tundra. This one is an '06, had an '03 access cab but some lady decided she wanted to drive her car into it. Solid little pickups that are just as reliable as a Tacoma, nearly the same size, with a V8 but they are half as much. My father also an '06 nearly identical to mine, bumper and all.

Back