Howa 1500 223 Extractor problem.

rudymontana

My Howa 1500 223 extracts the casing just fine from the barrel, except the shell casing doesn't fly clear of the feeding area. Thus I have to finger the casing out to load a new round. Loaded shells clear just fine. I heard somewhere that my extractor spring needs to be shorten or softened. This 223 has always done this. Do I need to shorten spring or get a new spring? Rudy

First push on the ejector to see if it is functioning. If is flush with the bolt face or doesn't protrude enough it just might need to be cleaned or there is a metal chip stopping it. If it is extremely soft, softer than a ballpoint pen a new spring might be in order.

If it seems to be working corectly check the extractor by slowly extracting a fired case and see if it is slipping out from under the extractor before the case mouth clears the front of the ejection port/openning. Again it might be dirt or metal chip under the extractor.

I took the extractor out and everything was spotless. I stretched the spring a little to see if that helps. Talking to a gunsmith and he same problem on a Remington 223. Seems the case hit the side of rifle before it clears the opening for clean ejection. We will see if stretching the spring helps or not. Thanks Rudy

Case will drag against the inside of the receiver, once coming to the opening it will flip clear, I'm going to guess short ejector/weak spring or a weak spring on the extractor, junk built up under it or worn.

Like 1badshee said with a plunger ejector it is supose to hit the side of the chamber and action until the mouth of the case clears the clears the openning in the action. Only a CRF extractor with a blade ejector will come straight out of the chamber flipping the round out when it hits the blade ejector at the back of the stroke, like a Mauser or Pre-64 Model 70.

Back