Giving free passes

tripod3

A farmer called to tell me he saw a four point buck so just drive out to look for him.
Never saw that buck, all I seemed to find is one coyote after another. Thinking that buck would be over the next rise I never fired a shot.
There are many ways to describe today, the bottom line is no shot no picture.

Sometimes when I'm coyote hunting and I see a coyote I don't try to kill it
smile.gif

Kinda quit shooting freebies a long time ago now. Still do once in awhile but for the most part I just give them a pass. Just no joy in it and I'm out there for the joy.

- DAA

Quote:Don't matter what I am hunting, when I see a coyote I kill it... I used to do the same. Shoot and figure it out after.

Originally Posted By: DAASometimes when I'm coyote hunting and I see a coyote I don't try to kill it
smile.gif

Kinda quit shooting freebies a long time ago now. Still do once in awhile but for the most part I just give them a pass. Just no joy in it and I'm out there for the joy.

- DAA

I mostly have to work extra to get coyotes but have long felt that tricking them in was the biggest reward. I do however shoot them at first chance for lack of mobility. Sometimes this ends up being 2-300 yds or more.

Originally Posted By: DAASometimes when I'm coyote hunting and I see a coyote I don't try to kill it
smile.gif

- DAA

I'm the same way.

At one time or another, I have given a pass to every animal I hunt, even a Bighorn Sheep last year, except a coyote. No passes for coyotes.

I am fascinated by coyotes, and love watching them in places I can't hunt them, and have great respect for them, but, no pass.

I've had the opportunity to shoot some during the warmer months that I didn't shoot. Unless they have mange I ain't gonna shoot one if the fur isn't worth anything..

During the Winter there are no free passes.

A long time ago it didn't matter. I'd shoot them whenever I had the chance. The first one I ever killed was with a 20 gauge while I was turkey huntin.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluealteredHere if you just wait a little while that coyote shot can turn into a wolf, bear, or lion shot.

I'd pass a dozen coyotes for a crack at a lion or a wolf!
ETA: never shot a bear either, but I ate some once and no pass for coyotes in bear country!
lol.gif

How ya been, Joe?

Regards,
Clarence

Last edited:
We can hunt coyotes here 24/7 and all year long, but like some others, I generally give them a pass in summer months. I have videoed them at a bait site at night from my hunting cabin just for the joy of it without squeezing the trigger. On other occasions I have seen a few in the daytime on the farm and given them a pass, waiting to hunt them at night with night vision and to get video. Like DAA mentioned, I do it for the joy of it. To me it's a lot more fun the way I do it rather than just happening upon one sudden like.

Like some have already stated I too don't shoot coyotes until the fur is prime and often will try to call coyotes that could have been easy shots from the road. I love the thrill of calling coyotes but also view them as a resource that, when shot at the right time of year, can be harvested and utilized. That being said the last few years I have been hunting later into the spring after some of the coyotes have started to rub to help reduce the numbers of coyotes in calving pastures. It's no longer a 100% fur salvage but he ranchers appreciate it.
Disclaimer: I don't raise livestock but if I did, I would shoot them year round.

I guess there's an exception to everything. If I know where a mangey coyote is I'll shoot it any time of year. I started early this year because a family friend had a problem with a coyote killing pets and geese that she has.

And if I don't get a clear shot on a coyote I won't shoot. But that's about it for passes.

I've given many a free "pass" over the years. Just yesterday evening I watched a pack of 5 go along my east fence. It's still a bit early for quality fur, so I let em slide for a few more weeks.
I did shoot one behind my house a few weeks ago. But she was mangy and I don't give them a free pass if they have obvious mange.
A couple years ago I was out calling with a couple of friends. Had three coyotes cross the road right in front of us and we had permission where they were. One friend wanted to get out and open fire but I refused to stop. We hunted other places the rest of the day. About two weeks later I went back into the property where we saw them go that day and I killed a triple. Was it the same three. Can't be sure, but I'd bet it was. Put a big ol smile on my face the day I killed em all by fooling them with the call.

Back