What's with the desire for larger calibers for coyotes?

Just thought I would put in writing a question I have often pondered. Why do people feel the need to hunt coyotes with calibers far in excess of what is needed to kill coyotes?

I understand that many do not save fur, in that case it makes zero difference if you use the biggest thing you've got.

I understand also that some want to try to shoot them at great distances and need the ballistics of a larger caliber for reduced drop and wind drift.

But, for the rest, why use a 6.8 or a 6x6.8 or a 243, or bigger stuff than that? Terminal energy with a 223 is sufficient out to several hundred, even with 55's. I also do not see the need to use heavy bullets in the 223, when the lighter bullets do a good job of killing. Drop difference between all the calibers is pretty minimal until many hundreds of yards. But, even if the drop is less, all that matters is that you know what it is.
Sure, I know that a poorly placed shot with a 223 with 55's at 400 is not going to anchor a coyote, but in that case why don't we all shoot deer with 338's?

OK, flame away.

It just boils down to what you're trying to achieve in my opinion. If you hunt tournaments you want a caliber that will effectively kill a coyote at any angle. I shoot a .223 a lot and I'll be the first to admit it just doesn't have enough behind it to reliably reach vitals on a coyote running straight away most of the time. I've shot a bunch running straight away and those fast moving .22's will pop the guts out of one sure enough but I always expect to have to shoot again.

Some guys just like shooting them at ranges that a .223 isn't capable of,with far more superior killing capability and less holdover.

As for shooting heavier bullets in a .223....same amount of recoil with a little more punch on the killing end.

That's just a few of the reasons why I can see that guys choose larger calibers for coyotes.

Last edited:
I put a 22-250 Bolt Action together to use on coyotes but a lot of the places i hunt also have hogs. So i just use my 6.8 AR.
Sure i could use the .22-250 on hogs but when i want to kill all of them the bolt action cant compare to the AR on how fast i can shoot as many as i can.
Ill never want to tell a farmer that i see a bunch of hogs and only killed one. I want to kill all of them.

Now if i go off to a farm that doesn't have hogs ill take the .223 or .22-350.

Last edited:
It’s obviously everyone’s personal preference like you said . I use a 105 grain bullet and I do that to anchor coyotes. Even a poorly placed shot will do them in . It’s my livelihood at stake not a game so I choose not to take a chance of one getting away because my bullets are lighter and I’m no sniper.

That’s my reasoning and one of my hunting partner uses a 204 and had to double tap his coyote on the triple I called up last week but he won’t use anything else which is up to him and I don’t hold it against him either

A .17, .204, and list the tons of other smaller calibers will kill a coyote if the shot is where it is supposed to be.

However, although all of us would like to say we never miss a coyote or always hit it exactly right, there are lots of factors that go into shot placement and where it lands. How windy is it, does the coyote stop, does the shot have to be rushed, does your bullet hit any grass, weeds, etc and the list goes on. Fact is, not every coyote turns broadside, stops, and smiles and waits for the hunter to slowly squeeze the trigger at 100 yards or less. Yes, probably many hunters rush and shoot early, or move early etc but the same can be said for the times hunters wait too long and the coyote never stops. Bottom line is I have killed many coyotes with a .17 Rem and other small calibers. I wouldn't hassle anyone for using them, but I shoot a 6WOA because it offers me a little more power and reach when necessary and is a bit more forgiving. I might sacrifice an occasional fur but most are simply DRT. Could I go bigger, sure I could, but here's what I want in a coyote calling gun:
[*]Lightweight/easy to carry (but not too light due to how much wind we have) [*]Drives tacks to at least 300 yards[*]Allows quick 2nd and 3rd shots for multiples[*]Anchors them well[*]Doesn't blow them to bits as I do sell a lot of furs. [/list]
This is my list and everyone's may be different. Use the gun and caliber you want which you feel comfortable with and does the job you need it to no matter what caliber it is.

Ok here's my thinking on the subject...
Out here where I live the wind is a major player.
A 17, 204, and 222/223 are perfect for coyote's especially when trying to save fur. But a smaller slower bullet encounters mister wind it's a rough go for poor the little devils.
I try to use my 22/250 for most my fur shooting ,but the 6mm is a WAY better choice to "Kill" coyotes in a 30 mph wind..
I know most people will not hunt them in that kind of wind but after you drive 3 or 4 hours to your honey hole your "going" to try
so you gota have the snuff t do it...

^^^Me too. You have to hunt what you got regarding time, terrain and weather. If the wind wont lay down I pull out a 25-06. Its a rifle/caliber Ive had for many years I picked up specifically for this reason. There are better choices, in shorter actions, but it just suits me.
Mark

Bigger calibers don't always mean bigger holes. Shot placement and bullet selection are two big factors. Sometimes you have to run what you brung

I like to use the .300 WM so I can count two down with one shot.
Otherwise I find the .22-250 doesn't have the limits of the .223.
Regardless there will always be a .223 around even if it doesn't get shot.

Overkill is underrated
w00t.gif

Last edited:
I ran with what I had for a number of years. It started with a .223 AR-15. I took a lot of coyotes with it. When the 6.5 Grendel came on the scene I started working with it since a caliber capable of .308 ballistics out of an AR-15 platform was intriguing. Once we got the bugs worked out of it, I decided to run with it as a hunting gun. Not wanting to run the risk of damaging valuable pelts like bobcats I dedicated the 6.5 to coyotes.

When we started working with the AR-10 platform I built a 16in for testing in .308 and when I went fully into the suppressor world, I worked the .308 into that platform.

I have now been running the .308 for coyotes. Is it overkill? Maybe, but thats subjective. Just what is "overkill?" We are hunters and we are looking for a clean, quick kill. I have the skill to use a smaller caliber, and have used them with a lot of success. But I had my share of runners. There are many variables that we cannot control. The last thing that I want to do is wound a coyote and let them get away. So do I feel the NEED to use a big bore? No.

Because I use a big bore, doesn't mean that I am slaved to it. I have taken coyotes with my 17 Remington, my .204, .223, 12 gauge, even my .25 cal air rifle. Sure, there may be those who try to make up for a lack of skill with caliber, it happens. But some folks just like certain calibers like some folks like certain platforms. Bolt gun guys like bolt guns. AR guys like AR's. Chevy fans won't push a Ford. Friends don't let friends vote Clinton...

The .223 came on big to the scene not just because it is a good performer, which it is, but because of ammo cost and availability. I've owned and used many as my main utility rifle. However there are superior chamberings. For guys collecting fur it can be worth it to go bigger and better when they get 75 dollars a dog that they might not have gotten otherwise.

Last edited:
Quote: I have now been running the .308 for coyotes. Is it overkill? Maybe, but thats subjective. Just what is "overkill?" We are hunters and we are looking for a clean, quick kill. I have the skill to use a smaller caliber, and have used them with a lot of success. But I had my share of runners. There are many variables that we cannot control. The last thing that I want to do is wound a coyote and let them get away. So do I feel the NEED to use a big bore? No.

^^^This. + Fur's no good down here and I don't like tracking them.

Regards,
hm

SnowmanMo nailed it on the head. I think too many people dwell too much on the thought of the proverbial "overkill" and lose sight of the fact that a lot of guys (myself included) just like to do things different sometimes. Half the fun is at least gained by the equipment we use. Dead is dead. Granted, Coyotes are taken regularly with some very small calibers and there's nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with using a lever action 30-30 either. There's no set standard that everyone has to live by. I see this topic pop up every now and then and I guess it kind of bothers me that some have this strick code in their mind that everyone is supposed to dance to the same tune, and they want to be the one to name the song.

To me, it can become boring quickly if I use the same gun / caliber all the time. I like to mix things up to keep it interesting not to mention a bit of experimenting with different bullets of different calibers. Fur hunters will have a priority for a specific purpose. Other than that, use what you want.

For instance, I have taken several antelope with a 25-06. After a while I wanted to try something else and began using a very accurate Remington Sendero 7mmSTW. The STW is very flat shooting and packs a punch at longer ranges. It is pleasing to see 400 yard antelope drop right there. One PM member wanted to criticize me for using it (as if he is an authority on the subject). I call it narrow-mindedness. I don't need an STW to hunt antelope but I sure do ENJOY it. I have taken deer with a 6x45, 243, 270, 7 mm Mag, 7STW, 300 Win Mag and even a 338 Win Mag, as well as with a 35 Whelen and 444 Marlin. I enjoyed using every one of those rifles / calibers but could just as easily have used the 243 for all of them. I used the other calibers because I could and because I wanted too. It's just that simple.

When shooting coyotes, I tend to bounce back and forth between a bolt action 17 Remington and an AR in 6x45. That's me. It just seems to get old when I use the same gun over and over. Other guys like to stay with a tried and true rifle / caliber.

People are different and thank goodness we all are. Otherwise we might all be shooting a 30-06 for everything since after all, that's "all we need." As most of us know, it's not about need (gun grabbers try to tell us we don't need ARs for hunting), but rather it's about using what we want and enjoying every minute of it.

Now, if you happen to have a 375 H&H collecting dust, get it out and take it hunting. You don't have to have Cape Buffalo running about your lower 40 to have some fun. My son took his groundhog hunting! Think out of the box a little bit.

One thing I might add is you can shoot them with a large caliber and still wound them. A gut shot coyote is a gut shot coyote no matter how you look at it. I've seen more than a few get hit hard and still run or try to...

I know a lot of guys don't like the .223 but I've had more success with it than failure. I've had to shoot a few more than once and I've seen some get up and run off.

Seen them take heat from the 12 gauge,.22lr,17hmr,.22mag .204,22-250,.243,.308 and 6.5 Creedmoor and still have enough life left in them to run. But I've also seen those same calibers kill them dead as dead can get. And naturally since I shoot a .223 90% of the time and have seen a bunch tip over when that 52gr. BTHP smacked 'em I ain't gonna blame the caliber for the ones that didn't. Poor judgment or poor shooting was the problem. It has its limitations but if you're putting that bullet in the kill zone they ain't going anywhere. With any caliber whether it's a .17hmr or your favorite deer rifle. If you've done your homework and know the limitations of the caliber you're shooting and the capabilities of the style of bullet you're shooting you'll do fine. Regardless of what it is you're gonna have some get away if you shoot enough of them I can promise you.

Having said that some calibers and rifles are better for certain shots and different scenarios there's no doubt about that. A coyote can get away dragging its guts while he's gettin I know that much....I don't like to say I've seen it for myself but I have. If I'd have had a 6.5x284 shooting a bonded bullet that wouldn't have happened I can assure you. I'd rather blow a hole big enough to throw a basketball through than to watch that happen. You can't sew that pelt up if it's running off because that 50 grain V-Max you just sent through a coyotes rump at 150 yards was weak sauce and couldn't shoot slap through him length ways and hit the dirt in front of him. It just ended up in his stomach is all. Some bullets blow up when the have to go through extra tissue ,muscle,bone and organs. Some just take all that with them.

Last edited:
In most cases it’s cause “boys like their toys”. Out here we shoot prarie dogs with 308’s at 1000 yards.Why? You can get much closer and kill them with a pellet gun. Cause it fun.

Its about what I figured. I suspected there would be someone claiming that the 223 wasn't enough gun, but didn't really get that response.
I have shot coyotes with quite a few calibers myself, but prefer the 223. My 17-223 has been working very well and should make the fur buyer happy. The 22-250 and its ackley cousin get used now and then, but once I get really dialed in and confident with one rifle, I stick to it these days. I sell enough hides to buy a rifle or two every year. I don't want to risk losing a chance because I was using a rifle with a trajectory I wasn't familiar with.

I suspect that the number of people who actually sell hides is fairly small even though lots of people talk about "fur friendly" bullets and such.

Back