Shooting Over the Fence

tripod3

Recently got an email questioning if I would shoot across the fence with no permission.
This plays out with me often and is on my mind.
A local refused me permission on the guise of teaching kids to hunt. Well that guy and kid got a buck on my side of the fence without permission 5 min ahead of me and then hid. Great way to teach a kid! Did the kid even shoot it?
My situation prohibits me from dealing with fences but I think a high percentage of hunters afield will take the shot. Laws vary by state.

that's the good thing about coyotes, it's pretty easy to call them to my side of the fence with a little strategic planning.

personally - nope. not a chance. but then again i respect my neighbors and take pride in not being that guy who ignores property boundaries.

if you dont have permission to go there, that doesnt include 'well only if its a little bit over'.

If you're asking about personal ethics, then who knows? If in your senerio they hid afterwards, then there is no question whether they knew what they did was wrong .

If you're talking leagalities, then nowhere is it legal to shoot something on someone else's property without permission.

If you are polling us, I always try to live my life honestly. I hope I succeed more than not. I will admit that much of this feeling came with age and younger me embarrasses me when I think about it sometimes. I would not take the shot. It's just not that important to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MCary

If you're talking leagalities, then nowhere is it legal to shoot something on someone else's property without permission.

Not always true. I know of at least 2 states, and I'd bet there are more, where if the property isn't properly posted it is legal.

Not on a bet would I shoot where I don't have permission, I have a lot of properties for coyote hunting and to get in trouble for trespassing could cause me to lose other property, I'm not going to go down that road. Period !!!

Last edited:
No way, Jose! Period. I've watched many a beautiful buck across fences; even inner ranch fences. Where I hunt, the landowner specifies which pastures are open and which are closed at different times of the year. Not against the law to shoot across inner fences but might as well be as far as I'm concerned.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onepersonally - nope. not a chance. but then again i respect my neighbors and take pride in not being that guy who ignores property boundaries.

if you dont have permission to go there, that doesnt include 'well only if its a little bit over'.

x2

the only time it would be of any question if it was across a fence, then across another fence to shoot from property you can hunt on to property you can hunt on with property you cant hunt on in between. but that is a pretty rare situation.

if someone shoots anything on my side of the fence, even if was previously wounded, they will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible.

Not a chance in h e double hockey sticks. To many times to count a hunter on the neighbors property has called and said they "wounded" a deer and it jumped on our side and wondered if they could go get it, and i tell them wait till i get there and we will go look for it together 9 times out of 10 they then say "well i thought i hit it but i cant find any blood" its just an excuse to go on your property. so no i would never shoot on the wrong side of the fence

Nope, no coyote is worth breaking my personal code of ethics. MY code says if you don't have permission you have no business there - period. As Crapshoot pointed out that it might be legal in some situations and some states, in my mind that doesn't make it ok unless I have personally spoken to the landowner involved and received permission. Just not the way I do things.

I grew up in rural SD. We all knew who allowed hunting and who didn't. Kind of a reciprocal system amongst most of us farmers. Didn't need to ask. You see one on mine shoot, I see one one yours shoot. But we all did respect the couple neighbors who didn't. Unfortunately things are way different today. Never hunt without consent.

I would be curious to know states that allow trespassing without permission. Posted or not. If it’s okay to walk on someone else’s property, why can they come in uninvited and watch your TV.

Originally Posted By: MCaryI would be curious to know states that allow trespassing without permission. Posted or not. If it’s okay to walk on someone else’s property, why can they come in uninvited and watch your TV.

There are some and some with limited entry. This may be where some got the ploy of claiming they are pursuing a wounded animal.
Trespass will only get worse with more people.
I am happy to see so many members here with good ethics.

http://realestate.findlaw.com/land-use-laws/select-state-laws-on-hunting-and-trespassing.html

Originally Posted By: MCaryI would be curious to know states that allow trespassing without permission. Posted or not. If it’s okay to walk on someone else’s property, why can they come in uninvited and watch your TV.

North Dakota, if not posted

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6724the only time it would be of any question if it was across a fence, then across another fence to shoot from property you can hunt on to property you can hunt on with property you cant hunt on in between. but that is a pretty rare situation.

if someone shoots anything on my side of the fence, even if was previously wounded, they will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible.

So, if someone shoots a coyote, wounds it, it runs 300 yards and crosses your fence and dies and the hunter crawls under your fence to retrieve it, you will prosecute?

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: 6724the only time it would be of any question if it was across a fence, then across another fence to shoot from property you can hunt on to property you can hunt on with property you cant hunt on in between. but that is a pretty rare situation.

So, if someone shoots a coyote, wounds it, it runs 300 yards and crosses your fence and dies and the hunter crawls under your fence to retrieve it, you will prosecute?

Wrong question. If someone shoots a coyote, wounds it, it runs 300 yards and crosses your fence and dies and the hunter goes to your house and explains the situation and respectfully asks if he may go and retrieve it, would you let him?

You do not have the right to go on someone's place without permission under any circumstances with the possible exception of saving a life. If that hunter got prosecuted, the land owner is not the bad guy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: 6724the only time it would be of any question if it was across a fence, then across another fence to shoot from property you can hunt on to property you can hunt on with property you cant hunt on in between. but that is a pretty rare situation.

Absolutely, you cannot enter without permission. Unless I saw it, how do I know he didn't shoot it on my side to begin with? I have seen plenty of people try to play that game. And, its a coyote, not something that gets a tag.

Back