.221 Fireball

You are gonna love your little .221 fur ball. I can say I love with its little brother, 17 Fur Ball more then I thought I would. It will get to see some yotes very soon. 25 gr. ammo on its way.....

Good luck with your build and post some pics.....

I'm pretty excited to finally be this close to getting my .221FB. I think I'm gonna pick up a Remington 700 ADL.

I like wood stocks but for a huntin rifle
and walking through plumb thickets here and mesquite trees in Texas I think I'd be better off not having a wood stock. I would really hate to get a good lookin wood stock all scratched up. I'm always really careful about that. But they're bound to get bumped or a scratch here and there no matter how careful I am.

I'll be back to show it off. Good luck with your quest to poke some holes in fur with your .17FB. Who knows I might decide I want one of those next.

Last edited:
Keep us posted on your progress! .221's are a blast!

I want to say my custom barrel is a 1-9" twist, which is really fast for the Fireball, but it still shoots 40gr and 50gr bullets really well. I need to double check with the smith that built it. He built it for someone else, and then I got it from them, so I'm not sure on all the specific.

I sure will. I ordered my Remington ADL so that part is over with so far. Then I wait for that,then I take it in to get a new barrel.....Then I wait some more. Seems like a lot of waiting is gonna happen.

I honestly can't believe I've waited around this long to get a rifle. I just don't have that personality that waits around for things to happen. Not just with guns or things I want but with pretty much every aspect of my life. Whether that's good or bad....I don't know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RePeteHope that 700 feeds for ya.
I'd hate to have to say "I told ya so".

I hope it works out I really do. He wouldn't work on anything other than a Remington 700. I asked about several different guns I know would work and he insisted on working with a Remington 700. I asked the guy that's gonna work on it about the feeding issues. He told me if I got one with a box magazine he could block the magazine so it wouldn't have any feeding issues. So I took his word for it. He sounded pretty confident that
it would work so we'll see.

With all this talk about the 221FB I am going to have to dig my Rem 700 Classic out of the back of the safe and shoot it again. RL-7 and 40gr Nosler BT's were the ticket if I remember correctly. Haven't hardly shot the dern rifle.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiWith all this talk about the 221FB I am going to have to dig my Rem 700 Classic out of the back of the safe and shoot it again. RL-7 and 40gr Nosler BT's were the ticket if I remember correctly. Haven't hardly shot the dern rifle.

After many years of Lil Gun in my .221 (and I still like it) I made a switch to CFE BLK. It takes a few more grains of it to get the same speeds that I got with Lil Gun but the pressures are a bit lower too. RL7 was OK in my original CZ 527 but have not tried it since I had ER Shaw put one of their barrels on it. All I know is that CFE BLK shoots like a houseafire with 40 grain Vmax (and Ballistic Tip) bullets so that is what I am going to use most of the time now I think

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerOriginally Posted By: RePeteHope that 700 feeds for ya.

I hope it works out I really do. He wouldn't work on anything other than a Remington 700. I asked about several different guns I know would work and he insisted on working with a Remington 700. I asked the guy that's gonna work on it about the feeding issues. He told me if I got one with a box magazine he could block the magazine so it wouldn't have any feeding issues. So I took his word for it. He sounded pretty confident that

Both my 700 Classic's chambered in .221 fed and extracted the stubby little case just fine. But, the ejector was clocked differently than a normal 700 .223 bolt. Not just a back block on the magazine. Doubt Rem. would have gone to the trouble of doing that if it wasn't important?

Dunno. Never tried it with a regularly clocked ejector.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: OKRattlerOriginally Posted By: RePeteHope that 700 feeds for ya.

Both my 700 Classic's chambered in .221 fed and extracted the stubby little case just fine. But, the ejector was clocked differently than a normal 700 .223 bolt. Not just a back block on the magazine. Doubt Rem. would have gone to the trouble of doing that if it wasn't important?

- DAA

Well I'll pay $600+ for a jacked up rifle I'm sure. That seems to be my luck so I'm ready for it to have problems. Either that or I can just forget about it until I find a factory .221 so I don't end up with junk.

I don't really wanna chance it so if I can't stop the payment from going through I'll just sell it when I get it.

I have the ability to lose interest that fast when things look like they're gonna go bad. If there's a chance it won't work....it won't....for me.lol

It would really stink to go through all that and have a rifle that doesn't work like it's supposed to. Unless I can order a different bolt that will work better in it if that's possible?

Last edited:
Well guys it's a done deal now. That rifle is on its way so I called the gunsmith. He says he can fix the timing issue with the ejector if that needs to be done......It's not a big deal he says. But I could resale the rifle I'm getting if need be. I'm not too worried about that part of it.

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: OKRattlerOriginally Posted By: RePeteHope that 700 feeds for ya.

- DAA

Like I said in an earlier post..."that's what they did with the 17FB models too".

I've said all I'm going to on this caper though.

I'm out...and again..."good luck"...

The rifle in my avatar is a 17 fireball built off a standard rem 700 short action and I've never had any feeding issues! But I bought the fireball magazine, machined follower and spring from Remington.

The issues are normally the ejection... Usually a little tweaking with the ejector pin/spring and a sako extractor takes care of the ejection issues. YMMV

I have close to 7000 rounds thru it now and is pretty much toast so it's getting updated to something different.

Thanks again for everyone's help. According to the gunsmith it'll all work out. If not....It's okay. He said he can fix the ejector so I'll take his word for it. I'm no gunsmith that's for sure. I have three guns now I regret buying so I might as well have 4 if it turns out that way.lol

But as of right now it seems like it'll turn out just fine.

Last edited:
Back