Favorite Caliber in AR for Predators

.223 Caliber
I hunt in AR and I’ve owned 4 predator hunting rifles. I do not shoot to sell furs. I set up for those nasty coyotes, when a quick responding bobcat shows, and I want the fur, I have started only shooting if the right head shot is made available

1} Bushmaster Predator AR15, It got stolen so in a crunch I bought
2) .223 T/C Venture Predator. Great gun but I wanted another AR and the only complaint I had about the Bushmaster, which goes along with most heavy barrel ARs was the weight. So I did some research and quickly realized that the less weight came with a higher price tag both in gun and optics, and then add an MOA guarantee my dream gun would by a little costly.
3) I finally ordered a Christensen Arms CA15 3 Gun with an 18” Carbon Fiber barrel, titanium adjustable brake, Carbon Fiber hand guard, .223 Wylde, and topped it off with a Leupold VX 5 HD 3.5x15x44, and add a rifle Gillee wrap when hunting. Without the wrap total wight in dead on 7 lbs.
4) Weatherby Vanguard .243 that I bought with hopes of making a long range shooter in case I ever got the chance to go hunt open country. It burned in a house fire so my hopes are that the AR I have with CDS system on the scope will be long range enough. So far i have settled on the Hornady .53 gr Vmax for best accuracy and trajectory..

I just wish that the fur was worth saving... What is a typical large southern AZ coyote, or northern prime coyote going for now a days? fleshed and dried, $10...? If I could get $20-30 for a green pelt, I might find a load that worked at a given close range. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but skinning and fleshing and drying a coyote pelt for less than $50+ is just not worth the time , stink, garage space, wife complaining , etc.... If there is a "green" fur buyer in AZ, please let me know!

Most years a decent carcass will sell for $20 to $30 up here. Fleshed dried and sent up to auction is anywhere from $0 to $125.

Last edited:
midwestpredator said:
Most years a decent carcass will sell for $20 to $30 up here. Fleshed dried and sent up to auction is anywhere from $0 to $125.

20-30 to just hand them to somebody would be awesome. 0-125 is a very big roll of the dice.....

Originally Posted By: shanedogg
midwestpredator said:

20-30 to just hand them to somebody would be awesome. 0-125 is a very big roll of the dice.....

For sure. On good years its not unheard of to get upwards of $50 on a good pale western for the carcass. Its not hard to figure out which ones will do better than others. I usually don't bother with the ones that won't sell for at least $20 put up.

Last edited:
Back