What rifle to use ?

RandyBarker

Looking for a rifle to coyote hunt at night like to have something some what quiet
With a scope so what go you folks recommend
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Havent done any night hunting but i assume you wont need anything that can shot at longer distances.. shot plenty yotes out to a little over a hundred yards with my .17 HMR of of the tractor during harvest... not overly loud either, and cheap

lol.gif

ok I’m just asking y’alls opinion I’ve coon hunted all my life and still do lol have a lot of coyotes around here want to hunt some I appreciate everyone’s input

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RandyBarkerWhat you guys don’t show respect by saying thanks , thank you etc

There is a ton of respect here, unfortunately the hummer is a long standing joke here.

Some think the HMR is good for, up to and including small elephants. Thats why my comment of knew that was coming. Better choices are 17 Fireball,17 Hornet,22 Hornet, 221 Fireball, 17 Remington, 223 just to name a few.

Thanks for what????

A good hit with a 22 mag or even the mighty hmr inside 100 yds will hurt a coyote bad. For close up night hunting where noise is an issue, I don't see a problem with it. You may not find them all, but that happens.

I know there are better options out there I was just replying based on personal experience.. I personally would rather use my .22-250 or .223 but I have also shot plenty with the HMR and he said he wanted something quiet for night hunting so I recommended the HMR.. Can't speak for the other small calibers mentioned as I have not shot them..

Last edited:
I'd choose the .22mag over a .17hmr and the .17wsm over both. The difference in power is very noticeable. As far as killing capabilities go the .17hmr isn't even in the same league as the .17wsm.

Don't shoot dogs with a hummer unless its just a target of opportunity. At night or rough country you want to put the dog down on the spot. If it runs 50 yards you might never recover it or verify you killed it. Unless there is some sort of restriction just shoot .223 or larger. For noise you can go with a longer barrel. There are many small calibers if for some reason you must. .221 firball, 17 hornet, .222... whatever, pick one that you fancy...BTW I have put big dogs down on the spot with .22 wmr. The point is that it is a lot of time, energy, and money to call one in , hit it, and not even get a selfie...

Back