DPMS GII Hunter

BoomSplat

Just bought one in 308 not to impressed with accuracy , shot one box of hornady American Whitetail 165 Grain cartridges through it. Groups were more like patterns for 00 buck at 40 yards Not set up for reloading yet any experience or help with factory ammo would be appreciated!!!

That sounds pretty extreme! If you are confident that all was well with your shooting, your scope and your rings then I would try some other ammo asap. I shoot plain old federal "blue box" 150gr in most of my 308's and have great results. (16.99 at every walmart in the country is nice too). Good luck.

I'm running a G2 AP4 with the chrome lined 16" barrel. I'm not impressed with the accuracy vs my old Gen 1 AP4, but it'll still put 165gr Partitions into 2" at 100 yards. I'll be replacing the barrel with a Shilen from Rainier Arms or something similar in the future to squeeze all the accuracy I can out of this gun, but for now, it's minute of deer and will kill anything I put the crosshairs on inside of 300 yards with the accuracy I'm getting now.

I'd try different ammo for sure. I reload, and I've had bullets that I never could get to shoot out of a rifle. I'd try the "same" bullet from a different manufacture and it'd shoot lights out! Every barrel is different, and no two guns shoot the same. The next G2 Hunter down the line might love those American Whitetail 165's. It's a crap shoot.

Yikes. I'm betting no ammo switch will fix that but it's worth a try. I would think something has to be loose, bad scope or bad barrel/crown.

Originally Posted By: jasonprox700I'm running a G2 AP4 with the chrome lined 16" barrel. I'm not impressed with the accuracy vs my old Gen 1 AP4, but it'll still put 165gr Partitions into 2" at 100 yards. I'll be replacing the barrel with a Shilen from Rainier Arms or something similar in the future to squeeze all the accuracy I can out of this gun, but for now, it's minute of deer and will kill anything I put the crosshairs on inside of 300 yards with the accuracy I'm getting now.

I'd try different ammo for sure. I reload, and I've had bullets that I never could get to shoot out of a rifle. I'd try the "same" bullet from a different manufacture and it'd shoot lights out! Every barrel is different, and no two guns shoot the same. The next G2 Hunter down the line might love those American Whitetail 165's. It's a crap shoot.

Chrome lined barrels were designed and intended to extend the barrel life for rapid and sustained fire situations. However, the chrome lining tends to sacrifice accuracy over longevity.

That is your best bet, replace the barrel with a high quality barrel and never look back.

Originally Posted By: BoomSplatEverything tight new 4x12Leupy VX-R mounted in Burris PEPR mount Try different ammo tomorrow

You might want to consider changing scopes to a known good scope. Sometimes scopes are bad out of the box.

I've seen some new Barrels (especially Factory Barrels) take a few rounds before accuracy comes around.
And as mentioned above, Different ammo may cure your problem,

I have a G-2 Light Hunter it shoots 2" groups with match ammo.

I'd like to put a carbon fiber barrel on it or atleast something better.

Who can do barrel work on the G-2.

Yikes is right

In today's sub-moa world i'd still be pissed with 2.00" groups at 100. 40 yards it should be shooting one hole with Hornady ammo.

It does function so it made it out their door. Have someone take a look at it, either the barrel nuts loose or the barrel is complete garbage. Either way punt it or swap the barrel if you want to put more money into it.

Back