AR at night or not?

Originally Posted By: X-MarkIf you want to stay in the ar platform try and pick up an ar-10 in .243. A good friend of mine always brings his r-25 along and does very well. They are pretty heavy (compared to the ar-15) but with the right load you can reach out and touch something with excellent knock down power. Myself I use an R-15 in .223. I had been using a hornady 75gr bthp, had good knock down power but the grouping was awful. I recently switched to black hills with the hornady 60gr. It shoots amazing!!! The groups are consistent and it hits very hard down range. With multiple coyotes at night I think the ar isn't an option it's a must have to be consistantly successful.

You should also look at freedom munitions 60 grain vmax they are great rounds. At least compare price with what you're shooting now. I've had great success with them. You can buy remans or new but I haven't noticed any difference between the two

Originally Posted By: Randy BI use my Pulsar Thermal to find my 6.5 Grendal brass after shooting a coyote, I hate losing my brass.

Randy, that's why I enjoy this site. Dah! I have an IR patrol I can do the same thing with. Thanks for sharing another noteworthy solution.

Originally Posted By: Randy BI use my Pulsar Thermal to find my 6.5 Grendal brass after shooting a coyote, I hate losing my brass.

That's a great idea. I know hunters use thermal to find coyotes but hadn't considered the brass.

I use an AR 100% of the time at night. Its a 12.5" 6.8 with a FLIR RS32 35mm. Also have another 12.5" 6.8 with a daytime scope on it.
I use a Brass Wrangler ($30?) brass catcher and it works good. But every now and again ill be a piece of brass short when i empty it so ill just look down with the thermal and find it. Soon as im done shooting and no other targets out there ill empty the brass catcher and count the brass then put it in my pocket. No light needed.
Main reason for the AR is where we coyote hunt we also have hogs so its nice to have extra rounds. Ive taken a bolt action 308 hog hunting one time and wont ever do that again.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Originally Posted By: Randy BI use my Pulsar Thermal to find my 6.5 Grendal brass after shooting a coyote, I hate losing my brass.

That's a great idea. I know hunters use thermal to find coyotes but handn't considered the brass.

I use a $7 brass catcher!

a good bass catcher wont hurt a thing. those cheapo velcro on bags tend to though once they get more than a few peices in them.

the weight of the brass causes an obstruction when they fold over.

good catchers have a frame to support that transition area to keep you running like normal.

Back