16 in 6x45 barrel

In my gun safe... it's a BHW and it's a shooter
thumbup.gif
Buy one, you won't regret it!

Satern/Liberty sometimes have them. Not currently, but you might ask them. https://www.saternbarrels.net/ Midwayusa sells a Stoner barrel when they have them and they currently show out of stock. BHW is probably the most likely source right now. Not too many available. I looked for one pretty hard a while back, found a couple of Satern/Liberty barrels available, bought one and a friend bought the other. Both barrels are tack drivers. I am really fond of mine. If you're lucky enough to find a barrel, you'll enjoy the accuracy.

Originally Posted By: CSM52I also have a BHW 16 inch and it is a tack driver with about anything I have tried

Mine too.

Pardon my ignorance on this topic, but why the interest in a 16" 6x45 barrel? I was under the impression that the advantages of the 6x45 really started to shine in the 20-24" barrel range. Full disclosure: I have one of the Midway/AR-Stoner 20" 6x45 barrels. I haven't had a chance to put round #1 through it yet, so I couldn't make any comments about accuracy. I'm just curious about the rationale behind a 16 incher.

Originally Posted By: cjclemensPardon my ignorance on this topic, but why the interest in a 16" 6x45 barrel? I was under the impression that the advantages of the 6x45 really started to shine in the 20-24" barrel range. Full disclosure: I have one of the Midway/AR-Stoner 20" 6x45 barrels. I haven't had a chance to put round #1 through it yet, so I couldn't make any comments about accuracy. I'm just curious about the rationale behind a 16 incher.

The 6x45 will gain you about 200fps over the 556 in the 16" with similar weight bullets. Or, the 6x45 will launch 70 grainers at or greater than the 556 can push a 55gr.

It's all about bore diameter. Same/similar weight bullets launched from the same case will always see an increase in velocity as the bore diameter is increased.

Here are some examples:
260 vs 7mm-08 with 140gr bullets: 7-08 wins
7-08 vs .308 with 150gr bullets: 308 wins
308 vs 338 Federal with 180gr bullets: 338 Fed wins

Much the same as .270 vs 30-06, both shooting 150gr bullets. The 30-06 will win.

Remember, these are for initial starting velocity from the muzzle. At times, the smaller bore cartridge with higher BC bullet may overtake the larger bore, even though it started slower.

So, if I understand correctly, you guys are saying that no matter what barrel length you go with, the 6x45 is more efficient than the 223/5.56 launched out of a similar barrel. That does make sense to me.

Apologies in advance for hijacking this thread, but what's everyone's favorite twist rate for the 6x45? I have a huge pile of 70 grain and 87 grain 6mm bullets sitting on my reloading bench. Needless to say, I'm getting pretty anxious about getting some range time with it soon.

My BHW 16" 6x45 was a tack driver as well. I feel like I gave up a lot of speed though. It was pushing 70 grain bullets at 2800 fps. I'd go 18-20" JMHO

I have a 16" X-Caliber 6x45 barrel threaded 5/8x24 for my suppressor. They will build you a barrel how you want. i am not sure what wait times are like right now though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I,m looking for one for a friend. He needs a short barreled carbine to shoot coyotes out of his truck/tractor when he's feeding cows on the ranch. I personally have two criger vari-match in 20in and 24 inch they both love 80gr NBT in front of 8208. avg. .750 at hundred yards.

In case any of you are considering shooting 55 grain bullets from a 16" ar15 in 6x45, you should try accurate 2200. The velocity is much better than anything else I've tried yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjclemens
Apologies in advance for hijacking this thread, but what's everyone's favorite twist rate for the 6x45? I have a huge pile of 70 grain and 87 grain 6mm bullets sitting on my reloading bench. Needless to say, I'm getting pretty anxious about getting some range time with it soon.

I ordered mine with a 1:9 twist. This will stabilize everything the 6x45 can handle. In my opinion, anything faster is a waste. Even a 1:10 will do fine with the 87gr pills.

Back