Black bear scouting

Adam4334

Can anyone shed some light on where to find bears in relation to terrain, cover, food, water, roads, etc? Do they prefer to travel the hillsides? Tops? Bottoms? Where do they typically bed down? Do they travel by trail or just wonder?

I'm planning on going out this Friday and half a day Saturday to bow hunt for them. I've never been before. I don't expect to get anything but I would like it to atleast be educational lol.

I've been researching a bit, and I've narrowed down my attempt to two different locations.
Both locations are mountainous with multiple creeks running through. Hard to say from google but it looks like it's fairly open hardwoods with pine patches on hillsides. I haven't been able to locate any thickets by this method though.

I do not plan to bait or run dogs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Around here abandoned apple orchards, ridges with beeches, acorns, are a good bet. They feed all day this time of year. Still hunting along these ridges with the wind in your face you can sometimes hear them in the trees or scratching the ground. They do sometimes make a lot of noise feeding. They do sometimes have trails that are heavily used, and if you can find a good setup that would work for bow that may be your best bet. They do like to rest in swamps when its hot out. Unharvested corn is a big draw, and farmers hate them so permission should be easy to get. Good luck, you'll have some good eating!

Back