22 tcm rifle or cz 22 hornet Can't decide

hunter22mag

Hello all
I've really been wanting to get a cz 527 American in 22 hornet
I've been keeping my eye out for a used one but haven't had much luck.
I went to the local gun store and the guy quoted me $650+ tax for a new rifle.
BUT on his used gun rack he had the RIA 22 tcm rifle and he said he'd take $275,
From what little I've been able to find about it the early versions of the rifle had bad accuracy issues. Now I don't expect 1 hole groups at 100 yards but at least 1-1and 1/2 inch groups.
I know that cz is renowned for accurate rifles but the price of the tcm is tempting.
My main use is a fur friendly hunting rifle that can kill coyotes but won't tear up a fox and can still be used for the occasional close deer. ( I mainly bow hunt so picking a good stand within 50 yards or so usually isn't to difficult.) really just an all purpose gun.
Any help would be appreciated!

That might be cheap enough that I'd take a chance on it. My buddy has one and it wasn't very impressive honestly. Great idea but it didn't seem very accurate. I never saw any groups just results in a sage rat town.

A nice-looking used CZ .22 Hornet over on rimfirecentral.com classifieds.
Note: just checked again and says "deal pending". Sorry; I apologize for getting hopes up!

Last edited:
What did you do 22mag?

I have had a on again off again affair with the lil 22Hornet.

Two years back I re-chambered a Hornet to a "K". Couple months ago I pulled it back out and have been wondering why I ever stuck it in the back of the safe!!!

its shooting very well and miserly on powder I am gonna hunt all this summer with it for coyotes and see how it works.

Shoots real nice...

BA0FDB0F-04D7-4737-8776-7414D299B31A_zps6k8pmpbr.jpg

CW

Buy the CZ and don't look back. I own the 24" heavy barrel .17 Hornet and love it. I've been eyeing up the CZ .22 Hornet as well, just strapped for "fun cash" recently, so it's on the back burner. The .17 Hornet covers almost all of my necessities, but is extremely heavy for longer hikes in the steeper terrain during bobcat season.

There's a Ruger 77/22 Hornet in the classifieds for sale if you want a Ruger. Or just buy the CZ and call it a day. The TCM is a crap shoot. Could be good money spent bad.

Last edited:
I skip both and look for a little CZ 527 in 221 FB or better yet, find one in 222.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B23I skip both and look for a little CZ 527 in 221 FB or better yet, find on in 222.

I was wrong, the Ruger was here on PM but now there is a CZ in 222 for sale on Accurate Shooter.

Originally Posted By: B23I skip both and look for a little CZ 527 in 221 FB or better yet, find one in 222.

If considering .222 I'd buy a Tikka T3 Forest.

High guys and gals!
I went to my first ever gun show at the beginning of the year looking for a hornet.
I found 1 used ruger m77 that looked like it had been hooked to the ball hitch of someone's truck and drug down the road for about a mile and the guy still wanted $650 for it. I laughed as I walked away from the table.
Seen a few new ones (all rugers) and they were in the $850 range. As I walked around I could see a cz 527 American on a table, turned out to be a 223 but when the guy said he would accept the $550 I had I couldn't pass it up.
Still been looking for a hornet but I have a baby due in September so I'm in the same money boat as flesh eater.
+ arkansas game laws state that the smaller furbearers ( coons, otter, beaver...) must be shot with rifles no larger than 22 Rim fire so I may have to use the 223 and just download it a tad for calling and get a 22 mag for the other stuff.i can also get 2-3 magnums for the price of a good hornet.

Back