Looking for a bigger FFP benched target/varmint scope

Dust

Looking for a scope in at least the 6-24ish range for bench shooting, and stationary varmint shooting. Price range of $900. Mil/Mil is preferred, but MOA/MOA is fine as well.

Will start on a .22LR, but move to a .223.

Been looking at Athlon, Vortex PST, Burris XTR2, SWFA, but not sure where I want to be.

I used a 4-14 FFP on the previous .22LR, and wanted more magnification. .223 currently has a Redfield TAC-MOA in 3-9.

Sig Sauer tango 4 would also fit in that discussion. I have the Burris xtrII, and it is a great scope. About the only bad thing I can say about it, is that the eye box gets narrow at max magnification.

With the calibers mentioned you probably don't need a lot of magnification, as your shooting will probably be within 350 yards (223). A very bright and sharp contrast scope might do you well. The Zeiss Conquest HD Line of scopes might be satisfactory and they are on sale:

You can usually get products from them 1% cheaper than advertised by talking with Ben.

http://www.sportoptics.com/zeiss-rifle-scopes.aspx

6.5-20 VX3 long range would be good.

Or I'd sell you my VX6 in the classifieds for $900 if you really wanted it. Much better turrets than some of the other offerings.

Edit: just noticed the FFP part... sorry

Last edited:
My recommendation would be the Vortex PST Gen II 5-25, I had the previous Gen I 6-24 on my Varmint AR. The scope worked well enough that was able to pick out and hit soda cans on a hill at 600. The only issue I had was that the reticle was a little too open with 2 MOA hashes instead on 1 but that's more a preference issue than a knock against the scope. I love that scope but the new ones are even better and I have contemplated replacing the older ones with the new gen II.

I now have the Gen II 3-15 that I just put on my coyote hunting Upper, I only got to shoot a handful of rounds through it but so far I like it a lot. The controls are much closer to my Razor which makes it more intuitive and the 25 MOA per revolution on the turret makes it easier to reach out without forgetting which revolution your on.

The price for the scope is $1099 but optics planet is having a 10% off sale so you can get it for $990.

The Zeiss HD5's are on closeout at several places from $699 to 899 up to 5-25 power. Very nice glass and good warranty.

Just curious. Why do you want a FFP scope? I bought two when they started making them and hated both.
That's just a matter of opinion of course but I wouldn't have one if hey were cheaper. Everything is way too small on minimum power.
If you like a great scope with lots of eye relief, look at Sightron SIII's made in Japan. IMO, they are just as good as the Nightforce NXS. From Scott at Liberty optics, the 8x32x56 LRMOA-H SIII'S are $849 delivered and the mildots are cheaper.

Jim D

Originally Posted By: CMP70306My recommendation would be the Vortex PST Gen II 5-25, I had the previous Gen I 6-24 on my Varmint AR. The scope worked well enough that was able to pick out and hit soda cans on a hill at 600. The only issue I had was that the reticle was a little too open with 2 MOA hashes instead on 1 but that's more a preference issue than a knock against the scope. I love that scope but the new ones are even better and I have contemplated replacing the older ones with the new gen II.

I now have the Gen II 3-15 that I just put on my coyote hunting Upper, I only got to shoot a handful of rounds through it but so far I like it a lot. The controls are much closer to my Razor which makes it more intuitive and the 25 MOA per revolution on the turret makes it easier to reach out without forgetting which revolution your on.

The price for the scope is $1099 but optics planet is having a 10% off sale so you can get it for $990.

I was looking at the PST 6-24, and then learned about the Burris XTR2, and then couldn't find one and moved on.

Originally Posted By: Texas SwiftyJust curious. Why do you want a FFP scope? I bought two when they started making them and hated both.
That's just a matter of opinion of course but I wouldn't have one if hey were cheaper. Everything is way too small on minimum power.
If you like a great scope with lots of eye relief, look at Sightron SIII's made in Japan. IMO, they are just as good as the Nightforce NXS. From Scott at Liberty optics, the 8x32x56 LRMOA-H SIII'S are $849 delivered and the mildots are cheaper.

Jim D

Not checking the magnification is the main point. Liberty Optics website is down, and google shows them as permanently closed.

I have had good luck with my Athlon stuff. It is made in China, and that is a deterrent for some folks. I just bought an ARES that seems to fit the bill for what you are looking for. I have owned a lot of scopes, and while these are certainly not the be all end all, they do offer quite a bit at their price point.

Dust,
I checked with Scott at Liberty Optics and he said their website was messed up by the server but should be ok now. I've got his personal email address if you need it. He did close shop up north and moved to Florida. That's why it says that location is permanently closed.

Jim D

Originally Posted By: Dust

Not checking the magnification is the main point.

That is nice but for a varmint/bench scope you generally have the scope on highest setting anyway...

The negative for a FFP is it's too thick at highest setting or WAY too thin at lowest setting. I have a few of each and other than for PRS type stuff (where you are shooting usually bigger targets & need to back out power at times to scan quicker), the SFP is much more user friendly throughout the power range. Be careful what reticle you get, many FFP will completely hide a prairie dog at ~500 yards (depending on your plan for it).

Back