A working pre '64 M70

DAA

Administrator
Staff member
My partner Tim broke out his Dad's old late 50's vintage Model 70 in .264 Win. Mag this weekend.

Good to see an old rifle like this still out there doing work. No wall hangers around here
smile.gif

20171007_Coyote%20Hunt-101.jpg

He ended up getting two coyotes with it. I killed the rest. Three with my shotgun (with TSS #4) and three with my .17P.

20171007_Coyote%20Hunt-102.jpg

Tough calling, lot of wind, they didn't come easy, but still too much fun!

- DAA

oh my 264 win mag, I once dreamed of javelin shaped bullets traveling at 3200 fps. after jacking with a couple over the years I decided it was the most temperamental case I have ever loaded for. This is funny you posting about old rifles. my old to me main squeeze ruger 22-250 that I haven't shot in probably 8 years, I have been thinking about showing some love and making some stands with. My dad bought it for me as a christmas gift one year. There is nothing like a gun with memories attached to it.

264 win mag, when you have had enough of coyotes not getting put down and surface splashes
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: BangPopSeems like I remember you having a Pre 64 of your Dads, in .270 maybe? Nice old guns.

Yes sir. A .270 is exactly right. I killed a deer with it last year.

20161022_Elk%20Ridge_Deer%20Hunt-27W.jpg

- DAA

I have a pre-64 M70 Featherweight in 30-06. It still hunts and gets work done on a regular basis. When I get really serious about something bigger than a coyote, it is the rifle that comes out of the safe.

Have owned three pre-64's, all in 30-06. One standard and two NM rifles. I bought the first NM used, so don't know round count when purchased, but I personally have fired over 23,000 rounds through it plus that many, or more dry fire practice "rounds".

Barrels (currently on #4) are the only parts changed on the rifle. (Kinda debunks the theory that dry firing causes broken firing pins; at least on the pre-64's, don't it?
smile.gif
) Action is smooth as silk, as one would expect from a bolt gun that has been cycled that many times.

Regards,
hm

The Model 70 is a real cherry. I'm a Winchester nut, and that one's a beauty. Nice to know its not just a safe queen. Nice job on the yotes.

Originally Posted By: nutcrackerThe Model 70 is a real cherry. I'm a Winchester nut, and that one's a beauty. Nice to know its not just a safe queen. Nice job on the yotes.

+1 to this

I have owned and sold several, a couple of .300H&H a 30-06 and a .264 I currently have a 1947 model in .270...likely gonna keep it.

I have an employee/best buddy that loves that round. I love the 6.5, however I cannot find a bullet that works for coyotes. Haven't worked that hard at it. Kills Elk like a lightning bolt. I have killed every elk I have shot for the last 3 years with the 130 grain Berger. Coyotes run off with the 130 Berger. No expansion. What is his secret??

Originally Posted By: Dan WanfaltWhat is his secret??

I don't know what he was using. Old factory ammo of some kind. Flattened them with authority whatever it is.

- DAA

Back