Just for fun....

I'm in the same boat man. It's an expensive game to play but like you I too will eventually get everything I feel like will suit my needs a piece at a time the more research I do and learn more about the equipment. And of course saving money to be able to buy exactly what I want.

Scanning with the weapon might not be ideal but like you said if you know the layout of the land and what is out there you'll know not to shoot in that direction. Not only that but the only safety I trust on any firearm is my trigger finger. I don't touch that trigger until it's go time. In my opinion scanning that way is just using common sense and everything will be fine. I know some people might bash me for saying that's even a remotely good idea but if you have to scan with the weapon then so be it. It can be done safely. Of course that's just my personal opinion.

I was more or less thinking if I had my eye in the scope the whole time there might be a critter off to my left or right just out of sight picture that I don't see. If that would be a lot slower than scanning with something other than the scope itself. Also I wondered how that would affect battery life in the Photon. I didn't know if people leave it on the whole time or how exactly you transition from scanning to shooting with that particular scope.

Last edited:
Battery life on the Photon really isn't that bad, at least on mine. I never run the on board illuminator and I am sure that helps. I haven't measured how much run time I get, but just estimating I would say 3-4 hours+ on a set of good lithium batteries. Keep a couple extra sets in your pack and you should be good to go. I just kick mine on and let it run while on stand. I'm not sure how that will play out sitting over a dead cow out when temps start getting cold though, if that will affect battery life.

I really like the little MDVR for recording video as well. It has a one-touch switch that lets you turn it on and start recording with one touch. I have a stock pack with zippered pouch I use to hold it, and the one-touch switch up on top of the Photon. Really handy. Recording capability might not matter to you, but I like it. Playing things back, they don't always happen exactly the way you remember it.

Awesome! I really like the idea of having the ability to record as well and honestly I'll probably use that quite a bit. I'll definitely have extra batteries with me at all times because like you mentioned I wasn't sure how cold weather would treat the batteries either.

I told my buddy that's wanting to go huntin with me down in West Texas about these scopes and he's gonna order one as well he decided. They're just too cool. I'm gonna run everything on my scope just like you do on yours to save battery life and I'll tell him to also.

I think he's wanting to go a little sooner than we had originally planned. We haven't even got our scopes and we're both already dyin to go try them out.

Last edited:
Back